Competition Spare Ribs

Richard Laiche

Okay guys....I am practicing my arse off for an upcoming amateur competition and just can't seem to get it right. I am using a 22.5 WSM and cooking 3 slabs of st. louis spares. I am smoking at 240 for 3 hours, foiling for one hour and back on for another hour. The two times I cooked them this way they were falling off the bone, which I know is overcooked. I am thinking about dropping the temp down to 225 to see if this makes a difference. Or, I am thinking about foiling for only a half hour or not foiling at all.
Also, after the foiling stage, I am having a real hard time firming up the bark during the last hour. When I take them off the smoker and lay them meat side down to cut, half the rub is left on the cutting board. I know the foiling stage is softening up the bark, but what can you do? Any ideas for either one of these problems? Thanks!!!

First I would ask how do you measure your cooking temperature, by dome gauge or at the grate? The difference can be as much as 25 - 50 degrees. When I compete in KCBS comps, I cook my ribs at 250 for 5 - 5 1/2 hours without foil. They may come out darker than if you foiled them, but the texture and bark is so much better. To help with the darkness, use a rub with less sugar and just make your sauce sweeter to make up the difference. I would suggest doing a practice cook with wrapped and unwrapped ribs and then decide which is best. Good Luck.

Agree with R. Paquin, verify your temps at the grate. I only cook backyard contests,but cook St Louis style at 250-275. 2.5-3 hours in smoke, 1 hour in foil, then last hour back out of foil.

I cook 275 2,1,till finished. It depends on the amount of meat on the spares. The stuff at Walmart are very thin look at Cosco or Sams for better ribs.

Consistency in your cooks is paramount when doing competitions. No two pieces of (the same) meat will cook exactly the same. Weather is not always the same. As such, depending upon time and temperature can be a receipt for added frustration. Using the "3-2-1" method has merit, IF it's NOT based on time. Knowing when to move to the next stage is key. Each stage has a goal.

The "3" stage is complete when the ribs have the proper color and the bark is set, as determined by you.
The "2" stage is complete when the ribs have the proper tenderness, again as determined by you.
The "1" stage is complete when the ribs have the proper tenderness and the sauce is set, as determined by you.

If the ribs are too dark... move to stage 2 a little sooner. If the meat is Fall Off the Bone... move to stage 1 sooner.
If the bark is too soft... stay in stage 3 longer.

Hope this helps. I am not a competitive cook, but do spend a good amount of time at competitions ;)

Listen to Tony, he is my biggest competition around here for the backyard comps we do. Personally I do spares at 225 for 3 1/4 hours, then foil at 250 for 1 1/4 hours then back out for about 1/2 hour during which I sauce them. Personally I do not put them meat down when I cut them. I do find you ruin the beautiful finish you made that way. I usually hold them up on edge and cut down throw them that way. I like the back towards me and cut on the down stroke pulling the knife towards you. That's just my way but as you can see, there are lots of ways to do it.

Richard
Is more or less my way!
3 hours in @250F grate level
1 hour in foil, plane. No liquid
20 min naked to dry out.
May be I need to reduce to 45' in foil but I need aome more experiments.
Forgot to mention 1/2 water liter.
If you want this is the link to my last attempt: https://youtu.be/rxbV90tbyDc

Back