Heater Meter on a Reverse Flow Smoker

Ian Farr

Hello everyone:
I'm building a custom reverse flow smoker and am looking at the control function now.
Heater meter looks like a great option. My question is for the size of the cook chamber / fire box,
I'm thinking two fan's would be required to control the temp.
Can the Heater Meter V4.2 Kit run more than one fan?

Any comments on using the thermocouple add on?

I have good soldering skills and am confident I can solder surface chips.

Reverse flow smoker cook chamber = 28" O.D. x 4'-7" long
Fire Box = 2'-0" deep x 2'-0" tall x 2'-6" wide.
I can E-mail a photo of the smoker under construction if need be.

Hello everyone:
I'm building a custom reverse flow smoker and am looking at the control function now.
Heater meter looks like a great option. My question is for the size of the cook chamber / fire box,
I'm thinking two fan's would be required to control the temp.
Can the Heater Meter V4.2 Kit run more than one fan?

Any comments on using the thermocouple add on?

I have good soldering skills and am confident I can solder surface chips.

Reverse flow smoker cook chamber = 28" O.D. x 4'-7" long
Fire Box = 2'-0" deep x 2'-0" tall x 2'-6" wide.
I can E-mail a photo of the smoker under construction if need be.

Do you have any idea what the required flow is going to be? The stock HM blower is 6.7CFM, with a better power supply I know you can drive a blower as big as 25CFM without issue, that's a pretty good flow of air....

Thanks Ralph,
I have no idea how much air flow is required.
This is my first custom build. If the blower can run up to 25 CFM...... I would think that should do it.
The cook chamber is roughly twice the size of UDS or other drum smokers on the market.
Using a air supply tube under the log rack would distribute the air to the fire evenly.

Thanks Ralph,
I have no idea how much air flow is required....
...Using a air supply tube under the log rack would distribute the air to the fire evenly.

That sounds right, it's important you make efficient use of the air from the blower rather than just forcing cold air through the pit. 25CFM is recommended for commercial size smokers, I think it will be more than enough. I made a custom Roto Damper for someone with a commercial smoker a couple weeks ago, the blower is a Delta BFB1012HH and is rated at 25CFM so I call it the RD25. Here's a pic:

RD25+RD3.jpg

If you find yourself in need of a servo damper let me know.

If I understand correctly, I would order the kit without the blower and obtain a RD25 from you.
Also I'll need:
•Raspberry Pi (A, A+, or B not B+ or 2 B)
•Wifi Adapter
•Probes
•Case/Enclosure

If I understand correctly, I would order the kit without the blower and obtain a RD25 from you.
Also I'll need:
•Raspberry Pi (A, A+, or B not B+ or 2 B)
•Wifi Adapter
•Probes
•Case/Enclosure
A micro SD card and power supply as well.

Yes to your list plus the SD card. On the blower, yah, if you need a higher flow than 6.7CFM I would order the kit without the blower. I don't really sell blowers but you can get a BFB1012HH from the common electronic supply outlets or ebay, amazon etc. If you need the RD25 servo damper shell to go around that blower I can set you up with that and assistance getting it working.

Back