a few questions for you heatermeter experts..

JWalker

Booted up my heatermeter, got connected to the internet, but I can only get to the heatermeter via the heatermeter devices page, where it says "root" and where I then enter my own selected password. Then I can see my device, make changes, etc.

But I thought I would be able to connect to my device by simply entering the http://192.168.201.1 in any browser, anywhere?

When I enter this address in my browser, it just times out and wont connect to anything.

And for my Pitdroid app, it wants me to enter the address of my device (ie. 192.168.201.1) and my admin password. I do that (using the address above, and my Root screen password, and it won't connect.

I am assuming that somewhere the 192.168.201.1 got changed? And how do I see/connect to my device at home or even remotely thru any browser without going thru the heatermeter devices page every time (I thought I just needed to type in my address in any browser, but just times out)? And what address do I enter to get my pitdroid app to connect with my device?

Thanks for the help, I think I am almost there!

Jason

Quick thought, are you changing the ip on your desktop/laptop to the same range. I change my desktop ip to 192.168.200.5 to connect to the default HM ip and change back when i'm done.

192.168.200.1 - Accessible any time the device is on wired ethernet
192.168.201.1 - Accessible only when you're connected to the "heatermeter" wifi access point (disabled once switched to client mode)

When you're on the heatermeter.com/devices/ page, it tells you what the address you need to use is. It's the thing you click on to get to it, you can also just put that into the browser window and skip the devices page.

OK Bryan, I booted up my heatermeter, and then went to the heatermeter devices page. It listed the address of my heatermeter, just as you highlighted above.

So I opened a new browser page, entered that address, and it connected right to my device...fantastic!

Will this address be my permanent heatermeter address, and won't change?
Meaning that I will always type this address into any browser and will have access to my heatermeter (assuming it is connected to wifi, of course)

So if I am, say, at the office and my heatermeter is on my smoker at home, then I can simply enter the address, go to my heatermeter, and make changes on the fly, correct?
Or really anywhere in the world where I have browser access, correct?

And is this still my address if I connect to somone else's wifi, like my neighbors, etc?

Thanks!
Jason

You don't have to open a new browser window, you just click on the address or where it says "HeaterMeter 20150531B" and it will take you there. It will keep getting this address as long as your router keeps assigning it that address. You can probably set your router to give it a "static address" which will force it to get the same one every time.

You can not use this address to access HeaterMeter off your network, it only works locally. If you want to access it remotely, you need to 1) port forward a port on your router to let traffic in 2) use a service like dyndns.org to "register" your home network address to a name you can remember.

Back