Just put a gasket around my door -- now I can't get it closed

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
18.5" older style WSM. I think I bought it around 2004. The latch is pretty minimal in the first place, but now with the gasket in place, I can't shut the door tight enough to latch it. Do I have any options besides buying a new door? I'm having some friends over this weekend for ribs, and I don't know if I'd have time to order something and get it by then.

Thanks for your help.

I broke my latch trying to make it work. You can probably get a new latch from weber. I had some wood stove gasket rope and used it in a pinch get by. The compression latch from Amazon is ultimately the way to go.

You'll likely need a new sturdier door and latch. I'd suggest Cajun Bandit who also now sells the door per drilled with the Southco latch installed.

I installed gasket from BBQgaskets.com and I still use the stock door. It was really tight when I first installed the gasket. I really had to force the thing to latch. After several cooks the door fits like normal. I guess after a few cooks the gasket molds to the shape of the door. I never upgraded the door or the latch.

I had the same issue as Dustin. The brass ferrel in the handle just rounded out, & it went all sloppy.

I bought a cheap cam-lock & it works great..

Back