New WSM

Eric S.

TVWBB Fan
After seeing the prices of new 18s and the fact I have only seen two 22s on craigslist this year, my impatience got the best of me.

All the 18s around town are marked down to $199. As a bonus my three-year old daughter "borrowed" a soft washer for 30 minutes, which greatly prolonged putting it together. It was still a fun daddy-daughter project.

I did a dry burn. Then dug this out of the bottom of the deep freezer and coated it in some rub we didn't really like. It should provide quite a bit of fat to help coat the shiney new porcelain, and I can toss it without worry. As a bonus it scared my MIL.

Redneck remote monitoring

Sacrificial ox tail and ham underway.

Welcome. You're gonna love it! My WSM has made me look like a hero many times. I assure you it's the cooker - not me.

This WSM is amazing. I tuned it to 225 at 7pm last night. At 10pm I opened up a bottom vent a little more and went to bed. At 7am I checked on it and it was running at 208. I tweaked it and am going to see how long it can run, before I need to start smoking some chicken later. My previous "smoker" was an akorn kamado, and it required constant attention.

Yesterday, at 9am it was still going strong. I pulled the nasty looking tail, and opened it up. It took a few hours to burn out and cool down.

I cooked some chicken on it according to these directions: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html The chicken turned out great, though I wasn't a fan of the McCormick "Montreal Chicken" rub I tried. We really like the homemade SYD rub, and I'll use it next time. There is also a Penzeys spices just down the road I need to visit.

Congrats on that WSM, and the great price. You will really enjoy it cook some great food.

Back