Viewing configure and graph pages from a remote device.

Trent C

I just finished building my first heatermeter and did a test burn with it and it performed perfect. I just want to say thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. Yall have opened a whole new world for me.

I was wondering if there is a way to remote access the configure page and graph from a device that is not connected to the same wifi has the hm? In other words is there a way for my to keep an eye on my cook and change settings from my work computer or smart phone? I saw the show off your cook thread and was wondering how people are getting links to their cooks? I haven't cought a cook in the process so I do not know what information can be viewed through the links.

Thanks
Trent

you mean like this

uds.servebeer.com

I use a service called No-Ip(free) and it will ley you host/redirect your IP address to a URL. You first must port forward the Heatermeters IP address to the outside world by going into your router and set up the port forward of your HM and using port 80.

Ok Yall are way above my head.

Ok so I did a port forwarding but I don't know if I did it correctly and I created a noip account. How do I check to see if I forwarded correctly and how do I link them?

I downloaded the app but what ip do I use?

Ok when you open account at Noip you get a to make a Url for your heatermeter for instance mine is UDS.servebeer.com. Noip sees your Modems external IP address and that's about all you need to do there. Next you need to go onto your routers setup pages and find the IP your Heatermeter is using. Next find the port forward page and it will ask for the IP address(heatermeter) and it may ask for starting port and ending port or just a port number. Put a starting port of 79 and ending port of 80, or if it ask fort the port, just put in 80. make sure its saved.

Now, if it works you should be able to put in the Url on your phone(on cellular network) you choose at noip and the heatermeter page should show up. There is a possibility that your isp may block port 80 and then you may be able to change ports with your router or you may need to change the port the heatermeter uses.

You're not going to use an IP at all in the app. You're going to use "TrentCsGrill.no-ip.com" or whatever hostname you selected.
No-ip is going to associate that name to your external IP (the one your router uses to communicate to your ISP).
You'll enter that host-name, the app will connect to no-ip, no-ip will route it to your router at home.
NOW, you need to tell your router what to do with that traffic - port forward from external to a specific IP & port 80 internally. I use a different port externally because my ISP blocks port 80 connections. I use: andysnider11.no-ip.org:8080 and route it to MY.HOME.HM.IP:80 If I have the HM going, anyone, anywhere can type that in & see how my grill is doing. Make sure you change your password. Don't want chinese hackers ruining your BBQ.

Make sure you have a way to update no-ip with your IIP when it changes (you can run a client on most routers, or a PC that is always on). If you get disconnected from the internet, the client will tell no-ip's servers your new IP).

Once you have it setup, make sure it still connects from inside your network - you may need to turn "NAT Loopback" on in your firewall settings for the url to work from wifi.

Back