rib help

Ryan Burger

TVWBB Member
I've had great success making my ribs using butt rub and big bob Gibson red sauce on my 22 bullet but I'm ready to try something new. Does anyone have a suggestion for making sweet/candy ribs?

Thanks in advance
Ryan B

I tinkered around with Aaron Franklin's sweet sauce and used it on my last rib cook and it was great.

When would you put the honey on?
My rib cooks usually end right about the 3 hour mark and I sauce them right about the 2.5 hour mark. Basically when you see the meat retreat on the bones, thans when you sauce them up

Now you could foil them early in the cook and you'd get "braised" which are great ribs, just no crust. Anyway, if you go that route, foil them around the 2 hour mark (assuming a 3 hour cook)

Your timing maybe different from mine, so adjust accordingly

When you wrap your ribs, Just drizzle some honey the length of the foil and put a hand full of brown sugar on top of it. Place bone facing up. Wrap it tight no air. Like Steven said. Blues hogs is the shizzle for a finishing sauce. You just half to learn how to work it. Once you do, It will make you look like a rock star! It's what 75% of all the top comp guys use as a base. I've busted some chicken up during a comp and that stuff rescued me.

20140504_095030_zps2fa8d6c6.jpg

Sweet heat
IMAG1475_zps43b97b96.jpg

Rockin Blues
5905410_orig_zpsjjhes4e3.jpg

Last edited:
I use my own rub and when I wrap at the 3 hour mark I just add some apple juice, I have been thinking about trying some brown sugar and butter when I wrap.

Todd. ....thank you. One question. ...do u add apple juice when u wrap?
I mop with apple juice. I add brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce to my mop, but if you're wanting candy ribs, I would probably only use apple juice and brown sugar

You gonna post some photos of these ribs? :)

Is blues hog available retail? Or only through the web?

Nice looking ribs!

I bought a bunch locally when a store was going to discontinue selling it so it was half price. The base sauce is too sweet for me but if you mix a vinager sauce with it it's solid.

Todd. ....thank you. One question. ...do u add apple juice when u wrap?

Awesome pics

I do at times when I want to make it easy. I also make my own marinade. Just add about a quarter cup and wrap tight. Then when you unwrap, save the drippings and add a little to your sauce when you put your glaze on

Back