Rotisserie: Most Creative Cook?

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
I'm buying the rotisserie attachment for my Performer and I'm crazy stoked about it.

Obviously, chicken and roasts are on the agenda. I even looked up a way to make gyro's on the spit. Hint: Wrap it in tin foil til it firms up.

But I was wondering what other cooks people have done on the spit, and/or what is the most creative thing you've seen cooked on the rotisserie?

Which insert are you getting? The Weber or Cajun Bandit. If you have a WSM also, the Cajun Badit insert would be my choice since it works on both the Performer and the WSM. Just a thought.

Which insert are you getting? The Weber or Cajun Bandit. If you have a WSM also, the Cajun Badit insert would be my choice since it works on both the Performer and the WSM. Just a thought.

Won't the Weber work on both the WSM and the Performer also? Seems to me it's just a of diameter, right? Unless I'm missing something. I intend to get the weber version. Only because it's OEM, and I can get it on amazon prime with free shipping for the same price as the cajun bandit. Otherwise, don't see any reason to get anything else.

I have the Weber but wish I got the Cajun Bandit, the fit is better and I don't think you can use the Weber on a WSM. I don't have a 22" WSM so I can't tell you for sure.

Beef roasts, tri tips, chickens of course turn out great. The best things i have done is leg of lamb and a boneless turkey breast like they sell at the deli. I added seasoning to it and added a little smoke, made some awesome sandwiches.

The Weber rotisserie is the same diameter as the 22" WSM, but it doesn't interlock with the WSM correctly because of the "inverted flanges" that differ between a kettle and the WSM. The WSM has the fit of the lid and center section inverted from the design of the kettles, so that moisture from the WSM water pan doesn't drip outside the cooker. The Weber roto ring has a lip that fits inside the bowl of a kettle similar to the way the center section of the WSM fits to the charcoal bowl of the WSM. You'd want to use the roto above the center section of the WSM, but the roto doesn't interlock correctly with the top of the WSM, for the reasons described above.

You could still use the Weber roto on the WSM, but there would be some risk factor involved, and worst-case, it could possibly fall off the WSM because it doesn't interlock the way it's designed to with a kettle. Would it fall off? That probably depends on the weight of what you're cooking and how well balanced it is on the spit. I could see a slight imbalance leading to the roto ring walking its way off the WSM over a period of time.

Should Weber have designed the roto ring to work with both the kettle and the WSM? Absolutely they should...

As for creative cooks with the roto, one thing I really want to try is a venison roast, cut and rolled into a roulade with a stuffing of some sort, then wrapped with a bacon weave. Or even better, wild boar bacon weave. I have some friends who hunt, so this is on my long-term list.

A simpler roulade that I am interested to try would be something like a turkey breast, stuffed and wrapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulade

There just isn't much to do except lushes,dead,animals. Ive done Bologna and cold smoke cheese. I've also seen one huge Kabob done. It was a little sketch thou. Veggies were hammered and the meat had food poisoning written all over it.

The best things i have done is leg of lamb
As someone with a Greek heritage, Leg of Lamb is the #1 reason why I want to get a rotisserie for my Performer!

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Weber and Cajan Bandit? I've read many threads comparing both and even though the CB has some advantages over the Weber, the only one that means anything to me is the motor itself being battery operated (with an AC adapter option).

Then I got to thinking that maybe instead of getting the larger one for my performer, the smaller one for the JJ may be all I really need? I don't do "big" cooks and I doubt I'd use it for anything other then a lamb or maybe a couple of chickens which should fit fine in the JJ? Also, all I really need is the ring. I still have a motor and spit from my old Gasser that still works fine. Use to be able to buy just the insert from CB but I don't see that option on their site anymore?

Anything you can jam a spit through or fit into a basket you can cook on the rotisserie with fantastic results. I wouldn't try custard pie.

There's lots of great rotisserie attachments available you can use for more capacity, to tumble food, & etc.

oayoah.jpg

Turkey anyone?

Back