Some 'general' newby questions

GvdHoven

Hi there,

Since information about the heatermeter is spread across the entire web so it seems i was hoping you all don't mind me (being from the Netherlands and not understanding all the lingo about L&S cooking yet) asking what might be some basic questions. If it has all been asked before, please do point me in the right direction because i don't want to ask thesame info twice. At first i only knew the BBQ Guru DX2 like most of you. Then i learned about the Heatermeter and i knew i just had to get myself one. Being a programmer (C#/PHP) from profession the DIY aspect intrigues me.

So i started with reading the introduction (which i my eyes should be a sticky in this forum) but i still have some questions.

1) What is the difference between thermistor probe and thermocouple probes (except the fact that for the latter connections are way more expensive)?
Answer by Ralph: The Thermocouple VS Thermistor probe is a matter of durability basically.

2) Will the heatermeter run (smooth) on a basic RPi 1 (since i have 2 of them laying at home) or does it require (and even work with?) a RPi v2?
Answer by Ralph: Yes

3) Is the RPi (e.g. host) then referred to as the LinkMeter?

4) What is the difference between the current (v4.2.x) version and the v5 version being developped on a Dutch BBQ forum? Is it only adding thermocouple support?
Answer: ..?

5) Will the heatermeter run also in degrees celcius?

6) Does the heatermeter offer a 'ramp' mode like the DigiQ DX2?

7) Can i use the Pit Viper 10CFM fan for the heatermeter since i find the DIY ones to look... well... DIY :p
Answer: You need to either replace the 22uf electrolytic capacitor/25v on the HM board (near C1) with a 47uF/25V version, or, if you want to keep the HM to be 'blower unaware' you can solder a 22uf/25v elco in line on the output between the HM and the Pit Viper (see Dutch Thread here)
Question by Ralph: Why would you?

Thanx and sorry for asking doubles..

Last edited:
Let me try to cover what I can...
The Thermocouple VS Thermistor probe is a matter of durability basically. Standard probes have low top end temp tolerance, Thermoworks top out in the low 500s(F) and Maverick high heat probes top out in the low 700's(F). Also, standard probes are very sensitive to moisture, so they can and will die easily if overheated or exposed to moisture. Thermocouples are available in many forms, some of which can handle temps into the thousands (F) and be completely sealed from moisture and steam. Type K thermocouples can also be very cheap, less than standard probes, or more expensive if they handle super high temps and are water resistant etc. I had killed MANY standard probes due to moisture or overheating during pizza or steak cooks but my first Thermocouple is still going strong a year later after LOTS of use and abuse (it's been sitting outside in the weather for a year + now and seen temps in the 900's and it's still kicking).

The HM was designed for the earlier rPi versions, it will work fine with the original rPi A and B models

Yah, LinkMeter is what the software is called, due to the original Heater Meter being created on an Linksys OpenWRT WiFi router

The HMv4.2 is the current release version, and Bryan knocked it out of the park with this board, best HM to date. Bryan had stated that the HMv5 was going to add support for the rPi B+ (which will not mate with the HMv4.2), but there were going to be no new software or hardware features. At one point the rPi Model B was starting to be hard to find, while the B+ was everywhere so it seemed the writing was on the wall what needed to be done. Lately, however, the rPi Model B seems to be available again so I am not sure if the plan for HMv5 will remain as above or take a different path. Like I said, HMv4.2 really is a great board.....

Yes, the HM will run in Celcius.

Yes, you can do ramp and hold using scripts which are available, or you could write your own.

You can use just about any 12v blower you want with the HM. IDK if there is something special about the pit viper? If so explain what is different about the viper fan and maybe I can understand why caps would need to be changed. Maybe someone else with experience with this fan will chime in on that...

Thank you for your first and fast reply. I updated my opening post with your answers. As for the fan; I thought the 10CFM pit viper was the best choice since the adapter place looks really nice and is an air-tight fit. However there seem to be a lot of adapters for the 6.5CFM fan you buy an cheapbay :)

I've seen this version of the HM; which sets me back about 250 USD for the following:
* HeaterMeter Accessories - Case
* HeaterMeter Accessories - Output Cable
* Probe Option - TC-K6A for 900 °F
* Blower Option - 6.5 CFM
* Blower Adapter Option - Plate for Large Big Green Eggs (6.5CFM)
* Power Adapter Option - AC to DC Power Adapter (12VDC, 1A)

Questions on the above:
1) Is that a fair price?

2) It has one thermocouple port, but is that enough? Wouldn't i need 2 probes for both the pit and the meat?

I think i need some help on the "what should i need to buy if i want to go for a thermocouple heatermeter" topic :p

I guess you can go that way if you dont want to build it yourself. Bryan's parts kit for the Thermocouple version (SMD parts already on the board for the TC amp) is $157 but doesn't include the 3D printed case, not sure other differences in what is included, you'll have to make the economic decision for yourself. http://store.heatermeter.com/collections/frontpage/products/heatermeter-v4-2-kit?variant=1082812523

One thing that stands out to me as a bit of a soaking is the 6.7CFM blower for almost $48? The standard 6.7CFM HM blower costs in the teens... Not sure if the grill adapter plate and perhaps a gravity damper flap is included with the $48 unit, but you can make that stuff cheaper on your own if you are into it.

The Thermocouple is for PIT PROBE ONLY, so you only need one Type K Thermocouple if you decided to get the TC version of the HM. The other three probes are standard type, Maverick 72/73/732, Thermoworks Pro or Igrill probes. With the TC you can control the pit, you would need other standard probes for the meats, not sure what is included in that auber package as far as probes go, you're probably on your own for meat probes I would guess....

Last edited:

Back