Brisket in Massachusetts

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I wanted to try a brisket this weekend, I did one 2 years ago and figured it is time to try another.

Went to the store and the Brisket Flat is $9.00 a pound!!! I can get a nice sirloin for that!

I am heading to BJ's to see what they get for them.

I thought Brisket was supposed to be a cheap cut! What is causing the high price?

That's a high price. Flats are more expensive than a full packer which includes the point. Some stores label them just a "Brisket" as opposed to Brisket Flat. I checked a local WalMart yesterday and a Choice Brisket was $3.84. The Sam's next door only had flats and they were around $6.00. Quite a difference when IMHO burnt ends from the point are the best thing going.

No brisket at BJ's Wholesale club. The pork ribs were 2.99 and the St Louis 3.99

got a pork butt for 1.59 which is very good for around here

Im interested in this too, im not too far away in norwood. at 9.00/lb you might as well order a prime from snake river farms! I've gotten whole packers at restaurant depot before for 3.80ish, but never seem to be able to find them anywhere else. BJ's and wholefoods generally have just flats. you could try Boston beef in norwood. i havent called them yet myself, but should. any other local butchers you know of?

Boston Beef is about tops around here.

I was actually impressed with the meat selection and prices at Walmart off Rt 1.

I live near the mall.

Two other sources worth checking out are Shaws Meats in Woonsocket, and Fairway Beef in Worcester. I've bought briskets from both, and both had the point. I'm just south of you in Wrentham.

Two other sources worth checking out are Shaws Meats in Woonsocket, and Fairway Beef in Worcester. I've bought briskets from both, and both had the point. I'm just south of you in Wrentham.

Blood farm in groton is awesome but kind of a drive from Norwood and Wrentham. They have every possible cut of meat. Price list on their website. I'm jealous of being so near gillette stadium and that BBQ place in Wrentham that looks like a gas station. On the upside, blood farm is 1 mile from me :). Smoked two buts from them last night.

I find Select grade flats at WalMart for around $4 per pound, but the Choice grade flats from Winn Dixie run $8-9 per pound...... I just can't pay that for Choice and I'm not sure I could pull of a Select brisket and still be moist and tender. I may be able to, but it would be a $40-50 chance.

I think brisket like a lot of "cheap cuts" thanks to TV is now expensive. Pretty sad that I cut meat but have to buy it through a restaurant connection to get it at a good price.

just saw on the Restaurant Depot monthly flyer that choice briskets are on sale for 2.99/lb for a single unit and 2.75 for a case...in massachusetts at least.

Last edited:
I got a whole brisket at Restaurant depot last week for 3 something a pound.

Funny, but I live within walking distance of Commonwealth and almost never go there. Love their burrito, just never go there. I view BPS as a "tax" on living where I do. (Have a boat and love to fish = spend too much time and money there)

Back