Q 1000 Mods anyone?

Chris Brown

TVWBB Member
Got a new Q 1000 for camping and want to use 20lb propane tank that comes with the camper. I don't want to use the 1lb portable tanks if possible. Has anyone out there ever done a modification for these grills to except a "standard" propane hook up?

All I use on my Q220 is the adapter hose hooked to not a 20# but a 5# tank. I can also still use the canisters if needed.

All I use on my Q220 is the adapter hose hooked to not a 20# but a 5# tank. I can also still use the canisters if needed.

Tom

What type of adapter hose to you use? My Q has a CGA#600 connection, which I'm having a hard time finding an adapter for.

Chris

168_zpsihijiwqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope this works, kinda new to this, but hopefully you can see the type of connection I have.

Thanks for that thread Clint. Great information. After reading it, I believe I will stick to the 1 lb canisters and use it the way it was designed to be used. Sometimes short cuts aren't worth the hassle or the danger! This is why I love this site, so much knowledge and helpful people. Happy grilling everyone!

Chris what "danger or shortcut" is there? Even Weber sells that hose to use large tanks. The little Q uses so little gas BTW a large tank will probably run for 2 years of normal use

I used mine with just the hose for a while before modifying per the link.

It didn't work at first even though I opened the valve very slowly, but after a while it worked normally. The mod just makes it work right out the gate with no problems.

If you want to use the regular hose everyone else has recommended I think it'll work just fine, even for portable, but getting it to work the first time after each move will take some time, so set it up and try to start it before you need it. After that, in my experience, it will work perfectly. (just problems early on after each move)

I think I pretty much did like what everyone else did to their Q. Went to home depot and bought two brass fittings to convert my Q to a 5lb or 20lb propane tank. I hated the 1lb thing.. those stock regulator sucks.

Back