Why did Weber discontinue the 18.5 OTG?

StanSulli

TVWBB Fan
Hey,

Why did Weber discontinue the 18.5 OTG? Was it not selling?

I want an OTG but the 22" version is just to big for my uses.

Is it difficult to convert the 18.5 OTS to a 18.5 OTG?

I havent done an 18 but i did a 22".

I bought the ash catcher ring and bowl. Here is a link for the 18" on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00G6P6XYA/tvwb-20
Buy through the TVWBB link to help support the site!

That's the major change in my opinion. If you want to change the handle out to make it a tool holder handle:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FDOOQD0/tvwb-20

You can add a thermometer to the lid if you want as well, there's plenty of choices there.

The one change that would take some MAJOR work would be adding a second handle to the kettle bowl. You would need find or fabricate a handle and then weld or drill and bolt it on.

I did the Ash catcher and the tool hook handle and i was pretty happy with the results but YMMV.

I got a 18.5 OTS and converted it to a OTG. Ordered the ash catcher kit from Amazon, but make sure you order the 18.5 ash catcher kit as the 22.5 will not fit the 18.5.
Took about 10 minuets to swap it out. The other features I wasn't concerned with.

It had to be due to poor sales, but sometimes that is the company's fault for not promoting a product.

I also have a 18.5 that I converted to a OTG

Like Rich Dahl said its real easy to convert. I don't remember if I got the ash catcher from Amazon or e-replacements. I remember it being a little pricey.

My vote would be poor sales. This time of year I scour the local want ads, garage sales CL, etc... for good deals on old kettles. RARELY if ever do I see an 18.5.......I'd estimate 1 in every 20 is an 18.5 in these parts. If the resales are any indication of new sales I can see why they dropped them. I have a 22.5 myself and am really thinking of selling it to grab a 26.5" as my go to grill/smoker. Honestly, for a family of 4 doing indirect cooks, I run out of grill space quick on the 22.5, not sure how people manage with the 18.5 personally.

My vote would be poor sales. This time of year I scour the local want ads, garage sales CL, etc... for good deals on old kettles. RARELY if ever do I see an 18.5.......I'd estimate 1 in every 20 is an 18.5 in these parts. If the resales are any indication of new sales I can see why they dropped them. I have a 22.5 myself and am really thinking of selling it to grab a 26.5" as my go to grill/smoker. Honestly, for a family of 4 doing indirect cooks, I run out of grill space quick on the 22.5, not sure how people manage with the 18.5 personally.

That is a perfect answer.

Back