1200 w/Stand for $120!?

It's cheap, but that doesn't make it a good deal (not a fan of the "Q" BBQ's) except the portable and only as a portable

hmm....I did plan on using it as my "main gas grill", as my current $99 cheapy charbroil is getting pretty ugly. I was gonna buy the hose to hook it up to a 20# propane tank.

I'm guessing the Q1200 would an upgrade from my existing crappy gas grill!?

I really want a Weber Spirit 210 grill, but don't want to spend the $399 right now.

I really want a Weber Spirit 210 grill, but don't want to spend the $399 right now.
Don't throw away $120 because you don't want to spend $400 right now

I have the big Q (hate it) and the baby Q (great portable)

It's hard to say what I hate more about the big Q:

1) The exhaust dumps out on the side tables making them nasty
2) You can't do indirect
3) Low ceiling / can't cook anything that's not flat
4) They have problems with their regulators if you use a 20LB bottle
5) They gunk up really fast and it (the gunk) catches on fire during your cook
6) The burners clog from drips making funky flames

There is one thing about the Q I do like. The cast iron grates

I see none of the so called "problems" ChuckO sees. The Q series (every one of them) are great little products. Now that being said they DO have their limitations and as long as you understand those they're fine. I have both a small Q (a 140) which is basically the same as the 120 or 1200 but electric. Great little grill. I have the 220 (similar to the 200 except it has a taller lid and temp gauge) again excellent grill BUT again with limitations. No without doing some "gymnastics" you cannot do indirect on the 1xxxx and 2xxxx series. You can on the 3xxxx series. Oh and BTW my burner does not clog up any worse than any other brand grill in my stable.
But frankly if you're simply looking for a good serviceable grill to replace a POJ Charbroil look at something in decent shape and used. You'd be amazed what you can find under $200 out there. Especially if you're open to other (non-Weber) quality product. Like MHP, Broilmaster, and so on. Sure some of these are very simple 2 burner grills but here too you'd be amazed at how well they perform. A simple 2 burner Broilmaster is my go to everyday grill. Tonight it will be doing fish tacos with grilled mahi mahi.

They're great for portable, it's going to be small though---I have the 200. They have cast iron grates and cook well. If you just cook for 1-3, it'll do it well - I've had a lot of tri tips off of a baby q (london broils too).

1961841_10204014034493092_5378413126299999532_o.jpg

For one, that is not a q1200 or even a q120. No thermometer in the lid and piezo igniter means it's probably a q100 with the optional tables added. In my area I wouldn't pay more than $70 for it. You can add a good tru tel thermometer for about $25.

As far as the q limitations.. It's a portable gas grill, so yes there are limitations. But nowadays you can't use charcoal at beaches, most parks, and public events.

You do need to wipe out the inside now and then. The burners can get gunked up but they're easy to clean. Size-wise it's a small portable grill.... We use ours for 2 people and have no problems with size.

I actually use our q100 fairly often for small, quick cooks. But, it wouldn't be a good permanent grill unless you only cook burgers and chicken. Indirect requires some work with trays and foil.

In a $100-$200 range I suggest keeping an eye on Craigslist for a genesis silver a/b or spirit. I see them fairly often for $200 in great condition and $100 needing new grates or flavorizer bars.

I agree with the other posters who suggest you save up for a new Spirit, or used grill. I have the q200 we use at our RV during the summer, it does great for simple cooks, but you are pretty limited by only having the one burner. If it was my main grill at home, I would save up for a decent gasser, can do whole chickens, cook ribs indirect etc. - just flat out nicer having at least two burners, not just for indirect cooks, but having that cool zone for safety too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

which titletown do you live in? Somebody might pop into craigslist & help you find something you might like

One thing I dislike about the Q series is that I don't know why but I hate the side tables on mine so I took them off as soon as I bought it and I do especially hate when you cook and have the lid down and smoke shoots out on both sides making the handles greasy and dirty. Have to clean it every time I use it other wise it's a great little grill. As for the grill..you'll want one with the termo and taller lid. It helps..

Back