Salt Substitute -- Any Suggestions?

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Dealing with two major issues, kidney stones and weight. In light of that, I will be going on Weight Watchers and I will need to use a salt substitute. The diet should not create any real problems but the salt substitute thing is. For most salt we have been using kosher salt. Could really use suggestions for GOOD salt substitutes. Any Ideas??

Edit: The urologist wants me off of the Atkins diet and on Weight Watchers and to cut back on salt and a whole lot of other things. Have to do it if I want to see my 3 yr old granddaughter grow up. She's worth the grief.

Last edited:
All those salt substitutes have a bunch of filler and other garbage in them. Baring something I've never heard of, unfortunately I think you are just going to have to salt things less.

Wean yourself off. For example, instead of 4 shakes, use 3 for a week or two. Then two. Etc. Also, start looking at salt content (chips, peanuts, etc and lunch meats!!) and reduce/eliminate those foods.

Going cold turkey is generally unsuccessful ( although that's how I quit smoking 40 yr ago). No matter how you do this, it will be difficult.

Wean yourself off. For example, instead of 4 shakes, use 3 for a week or two. Then two. Etc. Also, start looking at salt content (chips, peanuts, etc and lunch meats!!) and reduce/eliminate those foods.

Going cold turkey is generally unsuccessful ( although that's how I quit smoking 40 yr ago). No matter how you do this, it will be difficult.

One of the hardest things I had to do was give up caffeine. Now all the soda I have is caffeine free orange soda and root beer and ginger ale. Of course those are all diet and probably have a lot of salt. As for lunch meats, the only one I like is roast beef and I am going to start making that myself on the WSM.

Won't be easy but has to be done.

Bob, when I started a no salt diet (high blood pressure) I started out using Mrs. Dash's salt free spices, and found them okay, but then I was turned on to Garlic Lovers Garlic spices, and never turned back! The Spiceman, as the locals here call him, is a wonderful person, and even allows the locals to come to his house and pick up spices from his on property storefront.
He's got all sorts of different spice blends, all salt free and even BBQ Rubs! He's located right here in Eugene, Oregon and has a super quick turn around when ordering from his web site! Most grocery stores around here stock his Garlic Lovers Garlic blend, it's that good! In fact, I just bought another bottle a couple weeks ago. Give the Spiceman a try, you won't regret it, I promise. I think you can even call him with questions or just put in a order as well.
http://www.spiceman.com

I'm no salt expert,but when I use sea salt I use way less. It seems way stronger than kosher or regular salt. Maybe try using just a tiny bit of it.

Hey Bob. You're probably already familiar with them but most of Penzey's spice blends are salt free.

Here's an idea: keep a photo of that grand baby in your pocket. Then, when it's time to season, pull out that picture. I guarantee you can give up salt.

I have five G babies - I'd take a bullet for each one - sounds like you would, too.

I look forward to your healthier cooks.

Thanks Dwain. You are right, she is a great incentive and I have gone two weeks and not touched the salt cellar (kosher salt) or any other type. Have about 100 pounds to go and with the help of Weight Watchers, I will do it. Another advantage will be not to have to take 6 different med every morning. Ava is the wallpaper on my phone and always in my heart. Thanks for the support.

Bob I've been almost salt free (you can never be totally salt free) for three years and yes it's hard. My herb and spice drawers are full of great flavors that help curb that salt desire. Start out at a 50% reduction and read labels, there is salt in everything even tap water. Most of the salt you get is from canned or processed foods and restaurant food, by watching that you can easily cut your salt intake by half or more. Fresh food is your friend.
The recommend amount for a healthy person is 3000 mg a day or less my goal is to be at less than 1000mg a day and my cardiologist is good with that, but yes it's tuff.
I will tell you that in a short time you will not miss it, well almost.
As a start I would recommend this book "low-salt cookbook" third edition by the American Heart Association. Some great recipes and we use it a lot.
Good luck and hang in there.

Back