Fennel & Orange Leg of Lamb

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
Well, Dave L. was looking for a rub for a leg of lamb last week and that made me realize how long it's been since I did one! Using a modified version of a wet rub I had come across I ventured forth. Link to recipe

Zesting the oranges for the wet rub.
OFLL_01_zpsc6f3410b.jpg

Applying the rub.
OFLL_02_zps87ee5eba.jpg

After 24 hours, ready to go.
OFLL_03_zps70b5e57d.jpg

Wicked Good Lump & some grape vine wood.
OFLL_04_zps9a78916a.jpg

About an hour in...
OFLL_05_zpse3609a45.jpg

I placed the potatoes underneath to begin roasting.
OFLL_08_zpsf07e7d54.jpg

Forgot all about the bones! They stayed on after the roast was pulled along with the potatoes that I "should" have started right when the roast went on!
OFLL_06_zpsbc9d64f5.jpg

Rested
OFLL_09_zps36988629.jpg

A few slices
OFLL_11_zps72bc823b.jpg

Plated with the lemon roasted potato and a ginger yogurt fennel salad
OFLL_10_zpsa5e6494a.jpg

Overall the flavor of the lamb was very good. Wish that I had been able to do a reverse sear but when I checked it the middle was up to almost 125 and the ends were close to 135. With the carry over, didn't want to take a chance. I think I might up the fennel a bit next time. There was just a touch of the orange that came through.

Last edited:
That is one outstanding looking meal. Never done a leg of lamb. I'm putting it on the to do list! Great post!!

Who says Q'ers don't have sophisticated palates? Beautiful Marc. I'm guessing the fennel/orange would go well with fish or pork too.

Thanks all! It was really (IMOHO) really good.
Gary: Hadn't thought about it, but yes, the fennel/orange would work with fish... However in this mix, I had used yogurt as well as olive oil and I think that I'd leave the "dairy" out in fish... not sure why: but that's my initial reaction... Maybe KK can give a thought? I'll post my version of the wet rub in the recipe section as soon as time permits for an initial reference. I will definitely do this one again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who says Q'ers don't have sophisticated palates? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right on!

that all looks great. I'm impressed.

I love using zest, lemon would work well too, you mention you included it in potatoes.

I've been using fennel with coriander for a nice effect.

did the yogurt give the lamb a sour note?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">did the yogurt give the lamb a sour note? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all. I think it balanced nice with what I thought might of been excessive sweetness from the oranges. Supposedly, aside from adding a bit of flavor, the acid & enzymes help tenderize the meat. Don't know if 24 hours at refrigerator temperatures that happens or not. I've used buttermilk as well along the same theory... It certainly clings and coats better then just an oil based paste so it's a great "carrier".

Gary <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and I think that I'd leave the "dairy" out in fish.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After thinking about it I'll retract that. Forgot, used to soak catfish in a seasoned buttermilk all the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Plated with the lemon roasted potato and a ginger yogurt fennel salad
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dayum, had me thinking I had clicked on a Gormet site by mistake.

I feel like I need to have my little pinky raised while clicking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not at all. I think it balanced nice with what I thought might of been excessive sweetness from the oranges. Supposedly, aside from adding a bit of flavor, the acid & enzymes help tenderize the meat. Don't know if 24 hours at refrigerator temperatures that happens or not. I've used buttermilk as well along the same theory... It certainly clings and coats better then just an oil based paste so it's a great "carrier". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I originally missed the 24 hr part, it makes more sense that we're talking about a marinade.

I like the carrier idea, makes sense. like you said thick and clingy and has both water and fat components so will pick up a wider range of flavors.

I'm a big fan of lamb, and that leg looks great. No need for reverse sear IMHO by the looks of it.

Care to share the ingredients used in the marinade/rub? I like the idea of the yogurt BTW.

Great looking cook! I've done a lot of lamb on my OTS butt not on my WSM. Your post has inspired me to give it a go.

Thanks for sharing,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Ok, man, what's the story with the bones? You use them for stock or something?

Great looking cook/spread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marrow, man - you suck out the marrow
icon_cool.gif

It is good!

The last two legs though I saved them (had the butcher saw them in shorter pieces when the filet the leg for me. Roasted them (with the typical stuff) and made some stock while the Easter lamb was on the Roti, reduced and served as a minted aujux on the side. Even have a good bit of stock in the freezer now for next time.

Yeah, stock it was but more importantly the pan of lemon garlic potatoes was under them while all the goodness left on the bones were rendering!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Care to share the ingredients used in the marinade/rub? I like the idea of the yogurt BTW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try to get that up tonight if it's not too late when I get in.

I've added a link in the original post to the marinade/rub recipe.
Appreciate all the kind comments.
-Marc

Back