Jumbo Joe Is pretty much perfect

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
Ive had the 14" versions forever(silver and gold), basically because the bigger ones around here are almost non existent in stores...until now. I went on a 4 day fishing trip last summer and was just going to use a cast iron grate/ campfire to cook with, however weather didn't exactly allow it with rain and wind... So taking a chance in a tiny backwoods town I walk into a hardware store and behold there sits a jumbo joe with the handle and bottom vent, at the time I did not know they existed ( I had thought this size had been discontinued) I cooked up all kinds of things that weekend , steaks, baked potatoes, cornbread in tin foil, burgers...then I began to think maybe this size might be better than the small version (just my opinion) . I never understood why weber didn't put a handle on the silver 14" and get rid of the gold with the side air vents?!?! I mostly only cook for me or maybe a couple of people while out in the wild, but I think the jumbo is going to replace my 14" joe..

I have not been all that impressed with the Smoky Joe. I used the SJ Gold for my Mini-Joe and that has been fine. However, the few times I have used the Gold as a grill as well as the Silver I just didn't seem to get the heat that I prefer.

I bought a Jumbo Joe at Target end of season sale and I have been thoroughly impressed with this unit. It is a DANDY grill and I often use it when cooking for just the wife and I instead of my Performers. Don't misunderstand, the Performers are arguably the best all around grills available anywhere. However, the Jumbo Joe does a terrific job and when I'm just doing a small cook, I head for the JJ.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've been watching CL for a 22WSM and a JJ, as soon as it comes up, I'm getting me one - need some photos of yours in action

I have never tried a JJ. Many times I could not get the heat that I wanted from a SJ. If I see a deal on a JJ I will have to try one.

I have not been all that impressed with the Smoky Joe. I used the SJ Gold for my Mini-Joe and that has been fine. However, the few times I have used the Gold as a grill as well as the Silver I just didn't seem to get the heat that I prefer.

I bought a Jumbo Joe at Target end of season sale and I have been thoroughly impressed with this unit. It is a DANDY grill and I often use it when cooking for just the wife and I instead of my Performers. Don't misunderstand, the Performers are arguably the best all around grills available anywhere. However, the Jumbo Joe does a terrific job and when I'm just doing a small cook, I head for the JJ.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I hear ya, Robert. I had the same problem with my SJS not getting hot enough, even with lump, to get a good sear & grill marks. Picked up a new 2015 Original Kettle Premium 22" for $129 recently and am loving it. Using Weber's two half-circle charcoal baskets together in the middle, I can get much higher temps for a few burgers or a couple steaks using no more charcoal than the SJS required.

Hopefully I can snag a Jumbo Joe at that same Target end of year sale this year. Then I'll either gift the SJS or make a mini-WSM out of it.

I personally don't find the jumbo any more cumbersome to carry than the smaller version. I prefer the air vent below the coals vs on the sides as I think the fire does get hotter with it below. Plus with the slightly larger grill area I stored my tongs- grill brush and aluminum foil inside the the grill and that helped considering all the other gear I was carrying.

Put together my JJ that I got last year at Target's end of year clearance yesterday. I did a dry run and boy this kettle burns hot!!!

Here's a pic of it along side my 18" OTS/G Kinda wish the bowl was just a little more deeper.

Really love the Slide a side feature

My Smokey Joe will be going to a Mini project.Waiting for my table for the JJ to arrive at Lowes. Going to have fun with my JJ this weekend at a picnic.

Kinda wish the bowl was just a little more deeper
I have the Jumbo Joe Premium and I use the grate out of my Smokey Joe for the charcoal grate, which drops the coals down away from the cooking grate. It works out pretty good

My table arrived and took the JJ and table out to a picnic. Really love the ride height of the grill on the table! Here's a pic of JJ next to my lowrider OTP.

I bought my JJ because of all the praise from this site. I use it for weekday small cooks and weekend cooks when I'm not home.

The Targets in my area are not carrying much Weber stuff. They are carrying Stok brand grills which Home Depot lost money on. I bet the Stok stuff will be on clearance later this year.

Wife and I have an RV on a seasonal site, bought one of these to leave at campground. Should fit nicely underneath the trailer when we aren't using it. Can't wait to get up there and try it! The last few years I had an older OTG I left there, but to store it under the trailer had to disassemble and reassemble it all the time. Going to leave the OTG home and use it either as a pizza grill, or buy some Craycorts for it for different cooks.

Greg B - love the picture, that's a pretty cool idea to use a Weber Char Fuel holder for it - looks like it would work great for an indirect cook!

Greg B - love the picture, that's a pretty cool idea to use a Weber Char Fuel holder for it - looks like it would work great for an indirect cook!

I've been using a bricks on their side to corral charcoal to one side for an indirect cook. The bricks on their side fit perfectly on the charcoal grate and under the cooking grate. I'm waiting for a good deal on those Weber baskets to get them.

The JJ is a workhorse. I've done 2 slabs of ribs at the same time and 2 pork butts as well. That thing will turn out some Que' for sure, and the fuel usage is the most efficient in my whole stable. If you don't own one because you are concerned about performance and air control, don't worry and go get one.

Back