Build complete. need help with a few last items.

Steve Conway

Hello,

I just finished the build of my HM v4.2 w/ TC. Turned it on and success! I can't believe it worked since I had very little soldering experience. It took a bit to figure out my ET-732 probes and how to get them to work. I had them pushed in too far and it was losing their connection. Thanks to Bryan for pointing this out in the wiki.

I do not have a servo at this point. Just the fan. I have a few questions:

1. Are there any settings I need to adjust since I do not have a servo/damper? Or are the defaults fine for a fan only?

2. I have a large Big Green Egg and I need some suggestions on how to connect the fan. I'm thinking that I'll eventually upgrade to a servo and maybe use Ralph's Roto Damper solution, but for now, I just want to hook it up with the fan and start using it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to connect it?

3. Are there any instructions on how to access the HM from the public internet? I'm assuming these steps:
a) Change the Protocol on the wireless connection to a Static IP. (BTW, I tried doing this and I think I messed it up. When I turn on the HM, I never see an IP address come up on the LCD screen. I'm going to have to connect a wire and reset the wireless connection back to DHCP.)
b) Update router and forward traffic to port 80 to the static IP setup in step a)
c) Use a dynamic DNS service like 'duckdns.org' to create a url to point to your home IP address

Does this sound about right? Any help with a) would be helpful.

Thank you in advace.

Also, a huge thank you to Bryan for such a fun project! I even got my kids involved!

The defaults should be fine for fan only, but you'll probably need to keep your top vent daisy wheel holes almost closed.

You can fashion a mount out of some sheet metal (avoid galvanized metals). Google search for auber big green egg and you'll get an idea for a simple design you can copy.

re: static vs dhcp - Put the HM back to DHCP mode and use your router to assign it a "static" DHCP address if you want.

Thanks for the replies. I used Bryan's template and created a cardboard version of it for now. I bought some sheet metal as well to create the final one. Smoked some chicken legs last night too!

TzjOmoY.jpg

Heck yeah! Brings a tear to my eye to finally see another cardboard blower mount after so many years. Were the measurements accurate? I could place it in the wiki.

Yes. The template was fine. I didn't change a thing. I just made sure to print it to a WxH of 6.35" x 7.392". I then just cut the template out, traced it onto the cardboard and cut that out. I'm not sure why there are 4 small holes on the little flaps, but I didn't cut those. I just stuck the flaps into the flat piece of cardboard that I put in the BGE slot. A little bit of duck tape and I was in business!! It definitely worked. I was overshooting my target temp a bit. I'm sure a servo/damper would help with that but for now, it's doing exactly what I wanted!

Last edited:
Yes. The template was fine. I didn't change a thing. I just made sure to print it to a WxH of 6.35" x 7.392". I then just cut the template out, traced it onto the cardboard and cut that out. I'm not sure why there are 4 small holes on the little flaps, but I didn't cut those. I just stuck the flaps into the flat piece of cardboard that I put in the BGE slot. A little bit of duck tape and I was in business!! It definitely worked. I was overshooting my target temp a bit. I'm sure a servo/damper would help with that but for now, it's doing exactly what I wanted!

I also printed it and cut it out - just to see how it fits the blower. It was too big. I didn't measure it to see if it was correct. So I guess I need to figure out how to print it to the correct scale.

Back