K type Thermocouple Probe Pinout

B Severson

I accidentally pulled the wire out of the K-Type Connector on my heatermeter (to anxious the eat the ribs I guess). Can some confirm that the center wire is the + Positive wire and the outside shield is the – Negative in the K type connector. What I see online would indicate that it doesn’t really matter which is + or -.

Thanks

Bruce

Well, its not going to do much if you get it backwards, it will either be the correct temperature or it wont be correct. it wont short anything if you at first get it wrong.

I accidentally pulled the wire out of the K-Type Connector on my heatermeter (to anxious the eat the ribs I guess). Can some confirm that the center wire is the + Positive wire and the outside shield is the – Negative in the K type connector. What I see online would indicate that it doesn’t really matter which is + or -.

Thanks

Bruce

If you have a multimeter that can read millivolts, you'll be able to simply take a voltage reading on the bare wires. If the voltage is reading negative, swap the probes to the opposite wires and it should read correctly. That will tell you what the positive and negative wires are.

At room temp, it should read around 0.8mv. At boiling water temps, it should read around 4.0mv

Last edited:
You can also just touch the wires to the heatermeter and put the probe under your armpit or someplace warm. If the temperature goes up, you've got the wires right. If the temperature goes down, the wires are reversed.

Back