Are there any stamp collectors in the house?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I'm not a collector, but have a fairly large album purchased at a garage sale several years ago, and would like to know if it's worth having appraised.

I can post a few pics and give more details if anyone is willing to give me advice.
Thanks!!

Are these all US stamps? Are they postmarked or mint? How are they affixed to the album? Years? Lot's of variables. If they are post WWII they probably don't have much value. My collection of Canadian stamps dates back before 1867 and the most valuable one is worth about $160.00 from the 30's.

Thanks for your response Bob.
Guess I should have found the album's hiding place before posting.
From memory:
most have cancel marks
some are loose, but many are attached with hinges
there is a mix of US and foreign, and a few US liquor revenue stamps
also, as I recall, the collection ends around the late 1970's
no inverted Jenny stamps :(

I'll give another look for it later today.

Those hinges ruin a mint stamp. Unless you have a miss printed stamp you probably don't have much. The thing I like most about stamp collecting is learning the history of what was happening in the world when they were released. I have pre WWI stamps of countries that don't exist anymore, thousands of post marked Canadian stamps from the 1900-1930's, most mint Canadian stamps from the 50's-80's. I quit getting new stamps because they just release to many. I inherited my Grandfather's collection and it has tons of cool stuff but the wooden mustard box he kept it in is probably worth as much as his collection.
Ok you got me interested again I'm off to look through that box again to see if I missed anything. You would think a NapoleanIII coin from 1855 would be worth more than 4 bucks wouldn't you.

Glad I saw this post. My grandmother had a rather large stamp collection that got passed to my father, then to me. I had forgotten I even had it! No clue what I've got, only that my grandma was so proud of it. I think I'll dig it out of the attic and go through it with my sons this weekend!
Thanks again,
Tim

Bob some of the revenue stamps can be worth a bit of money. If you get an appraisal make sure you go to a reputable dealer. Tell them your not selling you just want an appraisal. There are people that will lowball your appraisal and then try and buy your collection.

Thanks for the advice Bob.
I doubt this person was a high end collector, as in buying mint stamps.

Have fun Tim!
The time spent checking out the stamps with your sons is priceless in itself.

Back