Cooking Frozen Solid Steak. Done. Results Ok

Ryan Dethrow

I stumbled across a show "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS (Good show BTW) that took on the task or Myth that cooking a frozen solid steak turns out better than a completely thawed cut. A few weeks ago, I took the chance with two NY strips we had. Well guess what? They turned out really nice...at least they were nice looking. The texture was in my opinion a little different but not easily noticeable. The biggest thing that I noted was the lack of seasoning. I like to use simple stuff for steaks, kosher salt and pepper but obviously you cant season a frozen steak. I tried during the cook but it really didn't stick. The presentation of the steak that was cooked to medium was really good. Almost food magazine quality. The Sear looked nice too.

I used Alton Browns Grill cannon idea to initially sear the steaks. Its essentially a Chimney starter with small grate on top and it gets nice and hot. Then moved to Indirect for finishing.

I might do it again if we all of a sudden get an idea for steak at 5pm and have them on hand, but overall I like the regular old way best.

Test Kitchen also has a channel on youtube. You are brave for trying this. Not sure if I would, unless I had no other choice. Part of the fun is eyeing that juicy red meat with S&P only while the grill warms up. Gets the stomach warmed up. :) Not sure if frozen meat would do the same.

You can always season the steak as it is cooking and unfreezing. A pat of butter at the turn always helps as well.

I do frozen roasts ( beef & pork butts ) alot because I feel they are juicer IMO.
Steaks I place on a CI pan to take that glaze off than season as usual.
Different strokes.:wsm:

Tim

Thanks for the tips....I do think that the steak cooked awesome and I likely will try it again. I may change my tune. I like the of de glazing then seasoning. I do however think the steak Takes In" some of the seasoning using a conventional cooking method. I normally let the steak warm up a little on the counter with the seasoning and a light coat of oil while the grill fires up. Dont tell food safety folks.

At my old job, to celebrate employee bonuses, they'd cook up cases of frozen ribeyes on a gasser. They were pretty good if cooked properly and expectations held in check. Seasoned with Weber Steak N Chop. Delicious, but not as good as fresh obviously. Maybe cuz it was free?

Thanks for the tips....I do think that the steak cooked awesome and I likely will try it again. I may change my tune. I like the of de glazing then seasoning. I do however think the steak Takes In" some of the seasoning using a conventional cooking method. I normally let the steak warm up a little on the counter with the seasoning and a light coat of oil while the grill fires up. Dont tell food safety folks.

Its recommended to let meat come up in temp and not put it on the heat source directly from the fridge. The only meat I put on directly from the fridge is ground meat.

The trick to have well-seasoned steak throughout, in my opinion, is dry-brining---salt and season the steaks, let them sit at room temperature for about an hour, and then freeze them. If you want to vacuum-pack them before freezing, wait about 5 to 10 minutes before vacuuming so the vacuuming process can begin to draw some of the juices that have formed on the surface back into the meat. It should continue the process until the steaks are fully frozen.

I've been cooking my steaks and burgers from the frozen state for several years. My steaks are usually about 1 1/2 inches thick and I find that I get a get a wider rare to medium-rare area under the sear if I cook them from frozen. Burgers too (don't forget to dimple them before you freeze them).

Rita

Last edited:

Back