What mods to do first?

JTReed

I am looking to modify my 99 WSM 18.5. What mods do you recommend first? I have a maverick 733. Should I do the notch or put in holes in the middle? Door casters etc? What is recommended?

Many thanks

Tom

You really don't have to mod the 18.5.
It's a great smoker as is. Take your time & think about what you want your cooker to do.
However.... myself... hindsight being 20/20... suggest cutting a notch in the top of the middle chamber for probe wires would be first: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-a-probe-thermometer-slot.html.
Next would be decisions on the water pan. I say ditch it in favor of a diffuser.
Last would be door, gaskets, handles, casters, stacker & etc.
Good Luck

Last edited:
I'd notch the center section for your cables - I just did that a few months ago. My only other mod is I installed a thermometer in the lid several years ago.

I've wanted to do the door mod for a while: http://virtualweberbullet.com/accessdoor.html

other than replacing my bent daisy wheel lower vents, not much else I'd like to do.

I made myself a Piedmont Pan to use in place of the water pan, and have added 3 air vents ( 2 intake, 1 exhaust) for high heat chicken and turkey smokes. I also wire tied the ring to the charcoal grate and added a 2nd charcoal grate rotated 90 degrees from the original to hold small pieces of coals.

A charcoal grate to lay on top of the existing one perpendicularly is cheap to do and keeps chunks of charcoal from falling through. You can get fancy and band them together or use stainless bolts if you want but I just let it lay it over perpendicularly. I have a 22.5 so I used a regular kettle grill charcoal grate and it fits within the ring

I cut the notch for the first mod, second was the installation of the hinge kit, that one makes life a lot easier.

The charcoal grate mod that Marco recommended is a great idea. I did it and it works great. I also added the CB door with compression latch. I'm considering adding the gasket kit.

A charcoal grate to lay on top of the existing one perpendicularly is cheap to do and keeps chunks of charcoal from falling through. You can get fancy and band them together or use stainless bolts if you want but I just let it lay it over perpendicularly. I have a 22.5 so I used a regular kettle grill charcoal grate and it fits within the ring

I did the same thing, first. It really helped with keeping the charcoal going.

Back