My Cold smoking journey and mods W/pics

DanielMT

Hi all I wanted to share my cold smoking experiences and mods on my smokey mountain 18". Hope this helps and any feedback is appreciated enjoy.
It all started last winter while searching around on here and saw a post of someone cold smoking some cheese and olives and thought i love smoked cheese i can do that.
So here are my cold smoking trial and error experiences.

Lets start with cold smoker 1.0 sorry no pic of this one but its not really needed. Just used the regular smoker and tried to keep the temperature below 100 degrees this is possible to do but it takes a lot of babysitting and a really cold day work best like temps in the teens or lower cold and temperature monitoring with that said i did it about 4/5 times last winter effectively.

Cold smoker 2.0. So I decided to get creative and this is a really easy mod all you need is a smokey Joe and a dryer hose. Problem is smoke doesn't flow down very well at all.
cold%20smoker%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cold smoker 3.0. Worked really well and is the same base principle of my next two mods but lets be honest this looks really well you fill in the blank _____. Things needed well obviously a ladder and ratchet strap. I also had to modify my smokey Joe I made the legs shorter and installed a 4" dia ring then attached the legs to it.
cold%20smoker%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cold smoker 4.0. Same basic principal and smokey Joe mods as 3.0 but tried a quick removal/install method this also worked well but i live in Oklahoma and the wind is always blowing hard so it didn't last very long. I was always worried because it was swaying back and forth.
cold%20smoker%203.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cold smoker 5.0 The latest and greatest. I installed a shelf against the house that's completely removable with pins (keep the wife happy). Also the Smokey Joe is completely removable for when i travel with it. This has worked great i can run the smoker at any temperature so I'm still able to cook with it and cold smoke at the same time with no issues if the cold smoker gets to warm just pull the hose down some and the temp goes down.
cold%20smoker%204.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's quite an evolution there. I've seen folks duct a mailbox to the lower vents with an A-Maze-N smoker in the mailbox. From what I under stand it works well.

I've been happy with my A-maze-n Products smoke generator. It runs on pellets and couldn't be easier to use. I have mostly smoked cheese with mine but have also done boiled eggs. I have the tube smoke generator.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thought about this, but my theory was to still have a use able smoker for example, smoking a brisket on the bottom while cold smoking on top. Also if you like olives you should really try smoked olives they are awesome.

Daniel;
NOW, I understand:confused:... you had me going there for a while.

I'll definitely give olives a try. Do you use pickled olives, fresh, or what...?

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

Use fresh olives if they are available I always do black kalamata olives. Tried green pickled olives once and wasn't crazy about them.

Back