Who uses 14" for camping??

Ryan Dethrow

I have two passions.... Spending time in the woods with my family and BBQ. Since seeing the 14" WSM came out I have been intrigued. Currently carry a jumbo joe in the RV but with 2 18" WSM's I don't know if it it is logical. Who uses it for camping exclusively?

Haven't had the chance yet, though I plan to this summer. But if you already have two 18" WSMs, why not make a Smokey Joe mini WSM for camping? They're even more portable than a 14 WSM, plus you'd have the option of using it as SJS for extra grill space to supplement your Jumbo Joe or as a WSM.

My Mini always goes camping with me. The setup has so much diversity and it takes up almost zero room. I swear! Some trips it never gets shut down till packing up time.

Haven't had the chance yet, though I plan to this summer. But if you already have two 18" WSMs, why not make a Smokey Joe mini WSM for camping? They're even more portable than a 14 WSM, plus you'd have the option of using it as SJS for extra grill space to supplement your Jumbo Joe or as a WSM.
Never thought of this...Outstanding!

I have a 14.5 for camping. Love it. I also thought about a making one, but I'm a water pan guy and wanted the access door.

I bought the 14.5" specifically for the RV. It rides along side a Jumbo Joe.

How do you stow the 14.5 on the RV? Assembled? in a box? In a storage bin? How do you keep it from getting damaged? How do you keep it from getting grease on stuff while in transit?
Curious because I'm thinking about having mine travel with us upon occasion.

How do you stow the 14.5 on the RV? Assembled? in a box? In a storage bin? How do you keep it from getting damaged? How do you keep it from getting grease on stuff while in transit?
Curious because I'm thinking about having mine travel with us upon occasion.

It rides in the shower with the cover installed next to the Jumbo Joe. No scratches on either.

It rides in the shower with the cover installed next to the Jumbo Joe. No scratches on either.

Thank you!!!
Looks like it will have to get along with the dirty laundry & the trash (both in plastic bags... we are off-roaders so pack it in & pack it out).
;)

Last edited:

Back