Birthday Gumbo

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

This weekend we are celebrating #3's birthday. He asked me to make gumbo for his birthday dinner so of course I did. This is not a grilling post so please forgive my presumption. In southeast Louisiana we have two competing styles of gumbo (and quite a bit of dissension about the proper way to make and even the origins of gumbo (if you Google it you can spend hours of time reading about it). We have two camps - the Creole Camp - which is generally centered around New Orleans and the Cajun Camp which is generally centered in the Acadian Parishes to the south and west of New Orleans. Simplified to a ridiculous level Creole is 'City Food' and Cajun is 'Country Food'. Creole gumbo almost always uses tomato and a lighter roux. Cajun gumbo (and most Cajun food in general) never uses tomato, has a much darker roux, and is almost always much spicier. Both camps use either okra or file (pronounced feel-ay - powdered sassafras leaves), but never both, as the thickening agent. Don't even get me started on the subject of trinity. Not being born and raised here, I have adopted my own camp which I call the 'Its All Good Camp'. Today I am making a Cajun inspired Chicken and Sausage Okra Gumbo. Here are a few pics:

My Preferred Sausages

Chicken Thighs, Smoked Sausage, and Andoulle Sausage Rough Chopped

Trinity, Garlic, Okra and Spices Staged for Use

Browning the Meat to Render Fat for the Roux in My 14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Fat Supplemented with Vegetable Oil to One Cup and One Cup of AP Flour - Beginning the Roux

Just Past Peanut Butter Heading for Chocolate - About 15 Minutes In on Medium High Flame

Once at the Chocolate Stage - Added the Trinity and Garlic

Everyone (Except the Okra) into the Pool and Added Bay Leaf, KS, SYM, and About 1.5 Quarts of Homemade Chicken Stock

Now for the hard part - waiting for it to simmer for about 2.5 hours. I will post plated pics after it cooks. Thanks for indulging my non-grilling post...

Good looking gumbo! Thanks for the interesting creole vs Cajun Cliffs Notes. I'd like to subscribe to your "Its All Good Camp" newsletter.

I just read an article about the whole okra vs file debate. Some say it's seasonal. My main thing is the roux has to be right and yours is absolutely legit! Nice work!

Well Operation Birthday Gumbo is in the bag. Here are a few more pics:

Okra in with About 45 Minutes Left

Just Pryor to Service

Plated (Bowled?) Over Long Grain Rice with Toasted French Bread

Well this is always a family favorite. Gumbo is unique in its flavor and a really good filling meal. It would be perfect for those suffering from the warmth challenged weather up north right now (hint, hint). The really neat thing about gumbo is you can make it with what you have. No andoulle? Use Polish sausage. No file? Use frozen okra. One of the best gumbos I ever ate was made with squirrel - everyone has tree rat...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I just read an article about the whole okra vs file debate. Some say it's seasonal. My main thing is the roux has to be right and yours is absolutely legit! Nice work!

Yeah you right Dustin (N'Awlins for 'you are correct sir'). Gumbo is all about the roux!

Regards,

John

Looks good from here! Almost made gumbo myself today lol, settled for Jambalaya instead, now it looks like I have to make Gumbo tomorrow ;)

It's all about that "BASE" no treble................. takes me about 30 minutes to get to chocolate............. I'm so afraid of burning it.
Now I has to go make sum meself!
Looks soooo good!

Ya had me hook line & sinker (till you put in the okra) :)
Excellent Gumbo, happy belated birthday

Back