Nomex Gasket Kit Question

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I've been reading about the Nomex gasket kit for the 18.5 WSM and I'm not so sure this is necessary. I'd really appreciate some feedback from some of the seasoned (no pun intended) veterans.

Being someone who likes to control variable, I installed the gasket kit on my WSM22 as soon as I got it. Since I use a controller to maintain temp while I sleep, I just felt that it made sense. I also like how the sections feel when I put them together. I just recently added the Cajun Bandit door and the new latch. While it may not be the reason that my WSM does not leak, I like it and it looks really good. If it removes a few small variables form the equation, then I am more than willing to try it. And another reason I did it is that I have made the WSM mine by my mods. Whatever works for you is the most important factor in deciding to do it or not. I like mine the way I set it up and that is really all that matters. Just my 20 cents (adjusted for inflation).

No but others have stated that after a while there original handles broke. I just liked the look and operation of the new handle so I did it and now don't have to worry about the old handle possibly breaking.

I installed the nomex gaskets on my webers because I wasn't happy with how a couple parts fit together. On my 14.5 the lid and center section fit together poorly. Nomex gasket there. The access door on my 14.5 was small and fit pretty well. Didn't gasket it. On my 22.5 I bought the Cajun door and latch (just because I like how the door looked). Glad I got the latch, way worth it, big time. I also had plans to gasket it and I put it on the door instead of the center section. It looks cleaner I feel. It really looks and seals well now. I like the nice quiet smooth feel of putting the lid on my 14.5 with the gasket, so I decided to do my 22.5 as well. Big mistake since I already had the lid hinge installed. It didn't fit anymore. I had to remount the lid hinge and drill more holes. My only saving grace was I used the old hinge holes to mount handles to carry the center section. Overall, I'm really happy I did the nomex gaskets, and would do again. The biggest difference I notice is the ability to keep temps really low and stable.

I installed on my 22 WSM asap. One year later yhe lid gasket is still there (imo, decisive) but the door gasket was removed due the canjun bandit stainless door wich didn't fit with it on. but the door is so adesive that I'm not warried.

I did mine as I had several leaks when I first got her. I also did the SS door, the new latch, and the hinge for the lid. She's pretty tight now. You can see the other mods I did HERE.

I have the 22" WSM and the only mod I have made is to attach the charcoal ring to the grate.
I keep thinking about making the door seal better but It has not seemed to cause me any problems the way it is.
If I decide to seal it I will make a custom fit seal on the cheap by cleaning the inside edge of the door really well.
Use high temp gasket RTV and put a bead around the inside edge of the door.
Liberally spray the the door opening of the WSM with Pam.
Put the door on and let cure for 24 hours.
Pop off the door and trim any of the gasket that squished out.
If I get scared of the door sticking to the WSM I may spray the Pam on wax paper and put that between the RTV and the body of the WSM.
My lid sits really well so I wouldn't ever do anything there.

I've got the nomex gasket kit on my 22.5 I like it. I think it gives me more control over the low end temps. I think by reducing air flow I probably lost some of the high end. I generally have to put a skewer under the lid to get 350+ temps. If you are running a stoker getting the high end temps won't be an issue. I personally don't. My smoker is very efficient with fuel now, though and that's an advantage. I did a 24 hour burn during the summer on a ring of kbb. Winter of course is a completely different story!

Back