Favorite brand of seasoned salt?

Celery Salt!

I like Old Bay & I use it a lot more regularly lately, and I sure wouldn't be opposed to try Penzey's or Tony Chachere's

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of Old Bay fans here. I am almost out of my Penzeys 4S and am looking for a replacement.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of Old Bay fans here. I am almost out of my Penzeys 4S and am looking for a replacement.

I mixed up some sour cream, chives, garlic, & celery salt for a baked potato tonight & I remembered your post - I compared old bay to celery salt. There are some subtle differences and I really wouldn't have considered old bay a 'seasoned salt' before....... They really are in the same family though. The last "seasoned salt" I got was herbamare - I only bought that once, I don't recommend for or against it....nothing special, I still have some.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=...alias=aps&linkId=AFQQMDPWKJX5O3L6?tag=TVWB-20

and the last salt I bought (no regrets) is the Himalayan pink salt in medium grain- I also picked up a salt mill for it but it might be better to just get the fine grain & not mess with grinding it since I'm not sure of any benefit of fresh ground.

Clint, I like to grind my larger grains (1/8" to 1/4" max.) of pink salt at the last minute as a finishing salt, not so much for the flavor, but for the salty, crunchy texture that gives a little surprise and burst of saltiness when biting into the food.

I just bought my first Maldon sea salt and the crystals are quite flaky and quite large but not as large as the pink salt from Costco. I bought a mill too (Oxo Lua), which is larger than their other model and which received good reviews) for the pink salt but think I'll sprinkle the Maldon by pinches. The Oxo Lua also has a matching pepper mill, but I can't speak for that one, one way or the other.

BTW, Bed, Bath & Beyond carries the Oxo mill too, so if you have a BBB coupon you'll get either $5 or 20% off. If you go to a BBB store, I'd suggest you try to test the grind on several of the same model. (They come partially filled with salt.) I have mine on the coarsest setting and it is all right. A couple of others that I tried at that setting did not grind quite as coarsely, and were not as coarse as I was looking for.

Anyone grind their Maldon?

Rita

Last edited:
Rita,
Pinch some Maldon salt and grind it with your fingers as you sprinkle.
I think Geir turned me and others onto Maldon, and the "grinding" technique.
It's wonderful on asparagus, etc.

Bob, that sounds like a great tip. Thanks for passing that on. I'm thinking the grinding might automagically happen during the pinching process. I'll be sure to pay attention the next time I use it. Geir has consistently been a valuable contributor here. I enjoy his attitude and I enjoy reading his posts. Thanks too for mentioning the asparagus. I just bought some today.

Rita

thanks for the pointer Rita - I just ordered one from amazon - I like BBB specials but my battery powered mill just wasn't cutting it, I actually crushed a bunch in my molcajete a couple days ago.

>>>edit: I really like the salt mill----I'm tempted to get the pepper mill but now I have >3 of those.

Last edited:

Back