My new build RPi A+ / 4-Line Display complete!

JeremyK

Hi guys,

I contacted John Bostwick a few weeks ago about building a 4.2.4 HM for me. I expressed my interest in the project along with my concern regarding my inexperience with soldering on printed circuit boards. John was kind enough to invite me into his home and give me some lessons first-hand. With John's help I was able to solder about 85% of the PCB excluding one difficult piece and a few he was still waiting on to arrive.

603707_10102428786249989_6154561127374548601_n.jpg

John worked with Tom Kole on (to my knowledge) the first 4-line 3D printed case for a 4.2.4 running a Raspberry Pi A+ and the result of everything looks great so far. I connected it to my WiFi network and will work on making the HM accessible from outside my apartment later this week (I was having trouble finding the appropriate instructions on how to do so, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I also have an Apple TimeCapsule for a router and sometimes their approach to "making things easy" makes things like this difficult.)

I hope to have a chance to mount and test it this weekend.

Thanks to Bryan, Ralph, and everyone else who has helped with the HM project over the years!

"Accessible from outside your apartment"

If by this you mean accessible from over the internet, then you need to forward PORT 80 to your HM IP inside your wireless router... If your router will not allow this then you may need make you HM listen to another port in addition to Port 80.....

Exactly, I was just fighting my router, should be able to get it up and running tonight I hope! Is it wrong that I'm excited to watch graphs of my apartment temperature from work tomorrow...for no reason

Nope do it all the time. I like watching my room temperature rise to over 80° while im at work and down to 68° when at home, lol.

I just started a new thread titled "Change/Add Port the Heater Meter is listening on...." with information on how to manage the port(s) your HM is listening to, in case you run into problems using port 80 on your router....

Jeremy, I want to build exactly the unit you have there except I am seeking a dark blue case if possible and i don't need the fan as i will be hooking to a SSR. Where did you get the lcd? Any other deviations to the standard parts list? which model of pi, A+?

Yes it's an A+ Pi, the rest of the info will have to come from Kohn Bostwick as he did most of the heavy lifting on the build.

Back