New guy with a new grill and a problem

ArthurR

Hello all,

I am new to the board and I just purchased an E330NG grill. It was preassembled by Lowes. The problem I am having is I can
not get the grill over 400 degrees. I have been in contact with Weber and so far that has proven to be a run in circles. I purchased
the grill on 1/1/2015. The day prior I was using a Master Forge NG grill. I had no problems getting it up to 600 degrees.
I have owned another Weber NG grill and never had any problems with it. I have searched this site and others, but similar problems
seem to occur on LP grills and are rectified by swapping regulators. My thought is the burner tubes are not set properly but no one at
Weber can tell me what they are supposed to be set at. I am told they are preset, but they look to be adjustable.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the help.

It should CERTAINLY get up over 400 degrees F. I don't think that the air shutters are the problem, as they do not make THAT much of a difference. Is the gas supply to the grill hose the proper size? Is there a kink anywhere in the line? Do all of your other NG appliances work OK? I don't think that the NG Genesis grills use an additional regulator, so that is not the problem.
The only two things I can figure are that your gas pressure is low at your house or that maybe someone installed the wrong orifices or the wrong manifold at the Weber factory.
Keep working with the Weber people, they should be able to solve the problem eventually. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

If it was preassembled at Lowes I'll lay odds they put a NG hose on an LP grill. (or at least an LP manifold) because they're idiots and I know this is precisely how an LP grill would act if hooked to NG. There are idiots out there who think the only difference is the hose. Just my .02

Yes, LMichaels may be on to something. If they were assembling more than one grill at a time, they could have gotten the manifolds mixed up and the propane manifold will have smaller orifices installed, limiting the heat output. I don't guess Lowes would take it back? Or maybe Weber could send you a new manifold, or at least new orifices. (I highly doubt that they would send orifices, as they are paranoid about what they perceive as possible liability)

In case you didn't know, for $50 more you could have gotten an EP330 NG which would have the 7mm stainless steel grates, stainless steel flavorizer bars, and the Special Edition emblem, but these are not available at the big box stores.

My moneys on a NB hose on a LP grill. Go back to Lowes and stand on the managers desk if you have to. Also bring the dame grill with you.

The grills are clearly marked whether they are NG or LP in addition to the LP grill having the big hole in the bottom and the tank scale. The NG hoses are already attached to the NG manifold, they do not need to be connected.

Thanks for all the replies. I've contacted Lowes and they have ordered a new grill for me. I'll return this one when the new one comes in. The odd thing is, the side burner works like a champ.
I am boiling water on it now to see how long it takes on the grill, then I'll boil the same amount on my kitchen stove for comparison. Again, thanks for the input and I'll follow up when the new grill comes in.

The side burner is not as touchy Arthur. My $$$$ is on an idiot at Lowes putting a NG hose on an LP grill. There isn't much else it could be

But LMichaels, if it is indeed an LP grill, it would have the big hole in the bottom and the scale. I think they just put in the wrong manifold, that way the side burner would be fine.
Also, Weber could have installed the wrong orifices at the factory.

The manifold is installed in the grill head already out of the box. However picture this. Some teen with little to no skillset and not caring how or what they accomplish is told to put together some grills. Now they might have more than one Weber under assembly at the time and that bottom plate does not come assembled to the cabinet as that is biggest part of assembly. So perhaps parts from more than one grill are laying around and I'll lay odds there is another customer who bought what they THINK is an LP grill only to have the flames shooting out if it because they put LP hose on a NG grill head. IOW another customer (or perhaps a floor model) has your grill head. Sadly Weber will end up paying the freight for this mistake. And while your issue is relatively benign imagine how dangerous it will be for the customer who unknowingly gets the head you should have had and lights that bad boy off. On your next grill just have them deliver the box and assemble yourself. Safer ;-)

Update. The grill has been returned and a new one on order. It should be in by mid week. I took it to the Lowes store where my sister works. She said he would have her
best assembler put it together as soon as it comes in. If you can't trust your baby sister, who can you trust. I should be grilling again by next weekend.
Thanks again for all the input.

Your sister may be trustworthy (I know mine are) but the idiots with screwdrivers in their hands typically are not ;-) It's not THAT hard. Have the new unit delievered to your house, grab a beer some basic tools and a free hour. Do it yourself

The benefit of assembling your grill yourself is knowledge of the grill from the ground up when completed. I can assure you this knowledge will come into play at some point in the coming years. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and congrats on the new grill.

Bill

Your sister may be trustworthy (I know mine are) but the idiots with screwdrivers in their hands typically are not ;-) It's not THAT hard. Have the new unit delievered to your house, grab a beer some basic tools and a free hour. Do it yourself

Agree 100%. The people who assemble grills at Lowes are not the department managers or the sales reps. The ones who assemble the grills are the teenage and college kids they hire to stock the shelves, etc. Would you trust some teenage kid to assemble your grill knowing that he probably doesn't care if he does it correctly or not? Not me.

Much better and safer to just do it yourself.

Why would anyone buy an expensive grill at a big box store?

I bought my Genesis at a local BBQ specialty store and it included expert assembly and free delivery along with some free accessories.

I couldn't be happier.

Update: The new grill has been received, fired up and reached over 600 degrees in about 20 minutes. I'll be doing chops here in a few minutes. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Good deal Arthur!

LMichaels, I agree with your statement except that the beer is best saved for after you are done.

Ha! Sipped slowly on a warm day with some tools and a nice grill.........................I don't know it all sounds good to me ;-)

Update: The new grill has been received, fired up and reached over 600 degrees in about 20 minutes. I'll be doing chops here in a few minutes. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Good to hear that the new grill is working great! I have the same grill and I think that you will be really pleased with your purchase.

Back