TACTILE-4 Switch availability SKQUAAA010

JMcMillon

Looks like Mouser no longer stocks Alps SKQUAAA010 tactile switch. Anyone know of a compatible replacement available at either digikey or mouser?

I see that onlinecomponents.com carries them, but there doesn't seem to be much more that I would buy from them, even with flat rate $5.95 shipping.

Thanks!

Someone just posted about using the SMD version of the tactile switch instead of the through hole. I guess the solder pads lined right up and the SMD switch went into place and worked with the HM case quite easily... (I think the post was made in the HM Hardware sticky thread) So that's a good option (until the SMD version is sold out).

Mouser is out of the SMD version too. So, you will need to use onlinecomponents.com or wait until 2/2/2015 when Mouser is expected to receive just 200 of them and they expect to receive another 100 in March

As a replacement to the current button, what about moving to a rotary switch/encoder with a push button? I've got some audio gear with them and they work well. You can turn the knob momentarily to the left or right to move forward and backwards through top level menu options, then press the button in to select the sub-menu and then use the left/right action again to control the value. This would replicate everything that the current button does.

As a replacement to the current button, what about moving to a rotary switch/encoder with a push button?
I've used them for a couple of other projects and I can't stand them. They're either too sensitive or not sensitive enough depending on the context. Like trying to set a value you want it to feel precise but when going through the menus you want it to not feel so fiddly. And pressing sometimes changes the value right before the button clicks. I feel like you can either design it for adjusting a value *or* a menu but not both. I've even played games with acceleration and multiple clicks per change and never felt like they worked well. Also there's the code change meaning having to maintain multiple avr firmwares, and also that's three pins so hardware-wise it would be a challenge.

I've used them for a couple of other projects and I can't stand them. They're either too sensitive or not sensitive enough depending on the context.

Those don't sound like the units that I've used. I'm trying to find an example online but my google-fu is coming up short today. The one's I've used have a very positive feel to them, you can only move them about 15 degrees right or left and they spring back to centre. The button push is firm. Still searching for one to post as an example.

Oh the units I've used have a very positive clicky feel to them as well, and I use the Bourns brand so they're not cheap. I've tried in a couple different detent counts but all seem either too fast or too slow like I've said and trying to adjust it in software just doesn't feel right. It doesn't matter though, the next version of HeaterMeter has 4 individual tactile switches planned and there are tons of those available. I will design around a 9-10mm high stem because there are some really primo projected stem buttons with square caps that look sweet. You can also cheap out and get 9mm stem buttons.

Back