"Pennsylvania-style" Pork and Sauerkraut

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I based this on a recipe for "Pennsylvania Pork and Sauerkraut" I found here, but tweaked it a bit.

5 lb pork loin, injected with chopped garlic and slathered with a wet rub of celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and and Dijon mustard

Dutch oven with beer, sauerkraut and the pan scrapings after searing the pork loin.

The pork loin, nicely seared and on the WSM at 275-300.

Pulled from the smoker when it hit 155 and letting it rest in the dutch oven with the sauerkraut. It smells amazing.

In my favorite new pork-themed serving vessel.

Plated with mashed potatoes, sauerkraut and PA Dutch style dumplings. They're dense, but delicious.

It was on the WSM just about 2 hours, which wasn't long enough for the raw garlic to mellow out, so I think next time I'll either leave that out or saute it a bit before injecting. Also, I think I overdid it on the smoke with 3 fist-sized chunks of hickory. Next time I think I'll cut back to just one chunk or a few smaller pieces. Overall, it was tender, juicy and tasted like something other than sauerkraut, so a big improvement over my previous attempts, which were basically braising the pork in sauerkraut.

Last edited:

Back