Silver B - which cook box to keep?

Mike Tee

TVWBB Fan
Hi,

My first post - trying to find information on the web this specific has proved challenging, so I'm delighted to find this community.

I've had a (pre-owned) Silver B for several years, and the burner and grates were ready to be replaced - I also needed new castors, as mine did not have any when I bought it.

When I priced out new grates, wheels and burners, it made more sense to buy a new used grill.

So, now I have two Silver Bs. One has rivets on the side of the cook box, one does not. Both are 3 burner, thermometer on the right, wire shelf models.

The one with rivets is a model year DD / 2000. - It has a slight curved thermoplast handle
The one with a smooth side of the cook box has no visible serial number.- It has a very straight thermoplast handle

Both appear structurally sound.

Any recommendations on which cook box to keep - or are they basically the same? I can attach a photo if this will help.

Thanks,

MT

Pictures would help a lot :) It sounds as if you may have a Genesis Gold (curved handle) and a Genesis B. If they are both the same model I would take the best parts from both and make a good one.

Be sure to check the cart for structural soundness, especially in the bottom area where the legs bolt to the cross members. These can rust through

Here is some more detective work.
both carts and both cook

Grill with rivets / DD / year 2000.
Has the manifold support bracket 85899
Has plastic insect covers on the burner ends.
Has rounded manifold bar.
handle
manifold bracket
rivets

My original grill
has metal insect covers on the burner ends
has wire manifold support
has squared manifold bar.
wire support
handle
no rivets on side.

So, my conclusion is that if the new to me grill is a DD - year 2000, I think this is the first year of the 'Silver' weber.
The other one must be a later model - even if only slightly.

What does any of this actually mean? Just take the better looking parts on instinct I guess.

MT

And another question - the grates look exactly like this

Is it safe to assume they're enameled cast iron, or do other grates have exactly this form factor? (extremely heavy)

So, I attempted to disassemble my original B, but the screw holding the cookbox in place was either rusted away or stripped. I don't have any tools here to saw the bolt, so left it alone.

Every part on the DD model was in better shape - including the cart.

I swapped out the plastic burner insect protectors for the metal mesh. As the plastic ones had dead spiders and webs inside (not that effective I guess).

The burners from the old unit seem in fine condition, though the crosspiece has rusted out.

Is it worth keeping spare parts from the old unit? 3 burners, (rusted) manifold, hose, regulator? Anything else?
Or should I just put it to the curb or try to sell?
The grates are done, the flavourizer bars have been tossed already.

Thanks,

MT

I used a Oscillating Multi-Tool to cut the cookbox bolt. You need a blade which can cut SS bolts, that is some stout metal and will rip up an inferior blade. You also don't gain much by detaching the cookbox because you then have to drill out the remaining bolt which is rusted to the cookbox frame and get at new bolt and nut to re-assemble. Might be just as well to leave it alone. I have also saved burners, regulator, thermostat and tank fuel guage for spares, while it might seem petty these parts can add up $$ if you get the opportunity to re-build another one because you never have too many grills.

Back