Water pan for baby backs?

Mickey M

Closed Account
Hey,

Using the mini to smoke baby back ribs today.

Trying the minion method for the first time and probably used too many briquettes and could not get the temp down to 250 no matter what i did with the vents.

So I filled the drip pan with water and used the vents to get the temp right on 250.

Anyone else here use water? If so, any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Hey,

Using the mini to smoke baby back ribs today.

Trying the minion method for the first time and probably used too many briquettes and could not get the temp down to 250 no matter what i did with the vents.

So I filled the drip pan with water and used the vents to get the temp right on 250.

Anyone else here use water? If so, any tips or tricks?

Thanks

How many lit coals did you use? Are you using a charcoal basket? What's your set up, SMJ silver or gold? What are you using as a diffuser?

For me I found that the Minion method isn't my favorite way to go. In the mini if you use the minion method you only need 2-4 lit coals to get things rolling. I prefer to side light my coals using a propane torch. This method is easy for me to do since I have the SMJ silver with side vents. More on my setup, I use an ash deflector (SMJ Silver), and a charcoal basket.

14650485877_1fd2bf501a_b.jpg

This can also be done on a Mini that uses the Gold as a base. If you have a silver with out side vents you can still do it you just have to remove the pot and fire one side.

If I am going for a high temp smoke I will light both sides. I can be to 250° in about 3 minutes firing one side, or 400°+ in about 5-6 minutes firing both sides.

For low temp smokes (below 300°) I use a diffuser (10" terracotta plant tray, or a 8"x10"x1" thick granite slab). For high temp smokes (above 300°) i either use the steamer insert, or no diffuser.

I'm a dry smoker so no water pan for me. Especially in inclement weather. I'd rather have some thermal mass, not evaporate mass. With the mini-wsm I've never felt the need to add anything except the above mentioned diffusers. I smoke in all kinds of weather and I can keep the mini set as long as its protected from the wind.

I will on occasion make a smokey Au Jus when doing roasts. Keep in mind that by using the liquid my goal isn't to add moisture to the smoker, or control the temp of the smoker. It's just plain out right awesome good Au Jus and a must have with all cuts of beef!

Back