Article: Restoring Vintage Cast Iron Pans

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
20141121-cast-iron-pan-restoration-daniel-gritzer-edit-28_zps22c5042b.jpg

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

Great article about restoration of vintage cast iron...

Thanks Chris, perfect timing! Just added the article to my favorites. I just scored a couple of vintage pans from my Mother in law yesterday. A Griswold #8, and a Wagner #6 that I'm going to clean up, season, and use!

Last edited:
Good article, thanks for sharing!

The only thing I see a little different is he says the old cast iron that is ground smooth is on "only marginally better." All of my old stuff has a much better/smoother surface. My modern lodge, after much work and seasoning is ok but nothing close to my old stuff.

Nevertheless, we were Christmas shopping the other evening and I went in one of those cooking stores - shopping for someone else, I swear it- and the Lodge stuff they had felt really smooth. Then I felt a 12" skillet just like mine and it was very rough, like the one I started with. And, I hear others talking about liking their Lodge stuff. So, I would feel the cooking surface first.

I like to talk cast iron. It's like a good quality tool, when it's tuned up it makes the job at hand more enjoyable.

My wife hates it when I come home with new to me cast iron. She hates the smell when I season it in the oven. Normally I tell her she can deal with it for a little while, and she does, but this time of year it's too cold outside to open all the windows. 40 degrees is the expected high for today and right now I have a #8 Griswold skillet ready to come out of the lye bath. What to do?

This is when a little planning is required.

On the menu tonight is grilled pork chops. I'll be using an extra-full chimney of briquets for a little extra longevity. Once I pull the chops off and the fire is stable (hot enough but not too hot), I'll place the cleaned, coated (thin layer of Crisco) and warmed skillet on the grill for a good heat cycle.

It's important to put the lid on the grill and not to remove it until the whole thing has cooled. Opening the lid to take a peek could warp and/or crack your vintage cast iron. It likes steady even heat, but not too much heat. A sudden rush of cold air could be a disaster. I wait until the next morning before checking, and by then everything is very cold.

I've seasoned several pieces this way and have to admit it does a very good job.

No pork chops tonight but I want to get this thing done so here it goes.

iLeIgCi.jpg

S7g3B8k.jpg

The first two pictures show the skillet as I purchased it from an antique mall, un-restored and caked with gunk from decades of use. I could tell there were no cracks and that it sits flat. No wobbles what-so-ever. I gave $45 for it.

90NCtKd.jpg

It's been in the lye bath for almost two weeks. Do not mess around with lye, it's nasty stuff. There's about three gallons of lye solution in that container. Yuk.

wdsIsoH.jpg

That is not rust. The cooked-on gunk turns that color after it's melted. It all wipes away in the next step.

ZCjb95S.jpg

Spend 10 minutes scrubbing the you know what out of it, rinsing often with hot water.

smbu36B.jpg

Here it is, naked as a jay bird. The second you take it out of the water it starts rusting, so...

LBUBqWl.jpg

...be ready with some oil. It can sit for days after it's been oiled up. Up to this point, you've had to move fast ever since taking it out of the lye solution. It will rust right before your eyes if you lollygag. Now to fire up the grill and get ready to season it.

Ylq3yVH.jpg

After wiping off the oil, apply a very thin layer of Crisco (or something of your choice), as thin as you can get it. It helps if the cast iron is warm.

5R6s6rj.jpg

Once it's all ready, place face down on the grate and close the lid. Do not it put on a fire that is hotter than 450. Do not open until the whole thing is cool to the touch. I placed it face down so the molten Crisco will not pool on the cooking surface. I'll do the same thing at least once more, face up next time.

We'll find out how it turned out tomorrow. Thanks for lookin'. :p

Last edited:
Update on the skillet. Right now it's back on the grill for round two. When I retrieved it from the grill earlier this morning it had a graphite color to it and that's a good sign. The finish was a little uneven looking and that's normal for the first coat.

It's worth noting that the first time it's rubbed with in this case Crisco, the paper towel always will contain color no matter what. It's not dirt or old cooking residue, it's oxidation or something. It does this because the cast iron is unseasoned. You can smell iron and I'm sure taste it. The second time it was rubbed down, the paper towel was white as, well, Crisco. No oxidation (or whatever), no smell.

I'll have new pictures in a bit...

Well, here it is.

D3IOtjg.jpg

Looks just like the many #8 Griswold "large block EPU" smooth bottom skillets out there. This is a very common size. The lighting is not that good today, but you can see how much darker it is after just two heat cycles. It will get one more before taking its place in my modest working CI collection.

XY2JUsQ.jpg

:cool:

neighborhood yard sale for $5, I cleaned this with a dremel and vinegar and steel wool.

IyC0rS2.png

Six coats flax oil on the genesis

This fire was too hot for the bread in the Dutch oven. But it sure cooked.

5r0K6JB.png

Inside - excuse the semolina as this has been all bread recently.

KfupBC9.png

Didn't realize you could soak the pieces so long in pure distilled white vinegar. I do a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, I thought anything stronger than that would be too harmful. Guess I'm wrong!

Back