Breakfast on the 670 with DIY griddle

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
This is what I've been striving for. Being able to cook breakfast type food outside on the gas grill. No mess inside, cleanup is easy, large cooking surface and just getting to be outside instead of in.

I've tried my cast iron skillet, bought a Lodge griddle only to be dissatisfied with all of them. It wasn't until I saw some Mojoe Griddles on here and got to watching the videos from Cam that I discovered that you can cook on plate steel. The light came on! While I was making my DIY round Mojoe Griddle, I decided to cut two pcs of 1/4" plate to replace my grates on my 670.

I'm going to tell you straight, this is absolutely perfection! When I say it doesn't stick, it doesn't. Cleanup is an absolute breeze. I just turn off the burners, scrap it with my straight edge spatula, wipe some oil on it and call it done (watch Cam's videos). I'm a little hesitant to use salt like I do on the round Mojoe Griddle on the Weber kettle for fear of it being corrosive to my S670. You can have different temps on the grill. The sausage needed a lower temp but the taters needed a higher temp to brown. The trick with the eggs to not running off is to pour a little and then build a dam with it after you determine which way your grill is out of level.

I can't brag enough, this really turned out the way I only had hoped it would.

Whole bag of frozen taters, enough room to spread them out and brown them quickly and on most sides

A roll of sausage and room for more, when the sausage was done, I moved it to a cooler spot on the griddle area and then over to the 670 grate with no flame under it just to keep it warm

Here's the egg shot, just pour a little, let it firm up, use it to build a dam

All done at the same time, chef gets to eat with everyone, cleanup is done and no grease to clean off stove

Last edited:
That looks like a great breakfast! More and more do it yourselfers here these days. Nice idea on your griddle!

Well the boss lady said, "Can you brown these two rolls of sausage on that thing you made for the grill?" You darn right it can! No mess in the kitchen, again! Getting to be outside with my 670 mistress, again!

It worked great, it doesn't stick at all. I still can't get over that.

Two packs of sausage to brown with room to spare.

I used a pampered chef chopper but this with a slicing action worked very well.

Done! If yiu make your seams precise food doesn't fall between. The only thing I really had to watch were the eggs this morning.

That's awesome Jeff. Only drawback I can see is that it might be difficult to make sausage gravy :D.

Two packs of bacon (pack and 1/2 on at one time) this time and eggs over-easy....

This is too easy...

Eggs on right absolutely no stick...I had the heat just right...

The left was fine but just not as slick...I had turned the burner off on the right about 3 min before I threw the eggs on

Last edited:
that has to be the best griddle I've ever seen - gonna have to try something like that for mine.

Yeah, I pretty much leave it up the whole time except when I'm preheating the cooking surfaces. I'll tell ya, you better have everything prepped before you step outside, it's all you can do to keep up with that much food cooking all at once. I got that plate in the pic so hot (burner under it off) that I carried it I'm with my welding glove and it burned me through the glove by the time I got it in to the kitchen table. But it kept the bacon and taters warm the whole time ;)

1) with all the salt, I'm a little concerned about the drip tray and the cast aluminum ledges that support the grates. It would have to be corrosive.

2) having the seems tight, square and precise, as I've learned, really helps.... It's as if it's one big griddle because it's such a tight seam. I first used a torch but I wasn't pleased so I used this saw....VERY nice, just like cutting plywood...

Great idea. I'm going to try this. Maybe get one big piece and have it as an insert.

Let me ask a dumb question...
This is just regular 1/4 inch steel correct?

For the first cook do you season it?

Sorry, just now saw your question.

Well, I wasn't sure if I wanted to cover that much real estate in my grill and I never really put that much thought in to it. All I had in my head was to measure each grate. I kind of like it this way. Depending on what I'm doing, it allows for a flexible setup. And, they are easier to handle. If the seams are tight, you can cool like it is one big surface. Eggs may drip through, but not for long because they set and form a dam. As you can see in my next post, and I meant to try it, I just got side tracked with hungry kids needing to get to tumbling , but I think I could pour pancake batter on the seam and it would be fine.

Pancakes, anyone? Again, I'm still amazed at how they don't stick. The other thing- especially evident with pancakes- it just how even the heat is. I had as many as 5-6 pancakes on at one and had room for several more , even with sausage. When cooking in the kitchen, you typically make one pancake at a time, serve it as it comes off and the cook eats while they are cooking. We all ate at once again this morning.

So far, these grill steels are used more frequently than any other grilling/smoking equipment or device. I don't know that I could be without them.

I use chanelocks to remove them but I need to think of something better. And it would be nice to have a machined grove near the back (mine is tilted that way) so the grease could drip down on the flavorizers instead of somewhat accumulating along the back edge/channel the grates rest on. But, it really doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Back