Scored a used 18.5. Getting started with it....

KFields

Hey guys and gals,

I just scored a 18.5 WSM on CraigsList for a really good price. It was from a local member of these boards, named Jay. Very nice guy. He had cleaned the WSM VERY well before I got it, to where it looks almost new. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad. Anyways. It seems to be an older model, without the thermometer in the lid. Which is fine, I already ordered a Thermoworks DOT thermometer, with the air probe, and the piercing probe that comes with it. I already have a ChefAlarm and Thermapen that I use for cooking/ brewing.

I just bought some Kingsford, and have a full load of coals going in it right now, at full blast. Trying to get any leftover chemicals, or whatever was still on the inside before the first run with food. I am SO happy that I finally pulled the trigger on one of these. I have been a gas grill guy for a long time, and only used Weber kettles in the past, so I hope this opens a new door of awesomeness for us!!

So, I guess my newbie questions are these:
1. Is there anything else I need to do to get this ready for its first run with food??
2. Do I need to do the whole Soo break-in method with fatty meats/ parts before using it?
3. Should it be ready to do a turkey for Thursday?? The wife and I did a practice run with a turkey on the gas Spirit grill, with a smoker box, that worked really well. I have never used a WSM and feel like it might be a bit of a stretch to do a Turkey on the big day on the WSM, as my first ever cook haha.

I cant wait to get started cooking and smokin' on this bad boy! Thanks for all the info I have already gained here on TVWBB!

So, I guess my newbie questions are these:
1. Is there anything else I need to do to get this ready for its first run with food??
2. Do I need to do the whole Soo break-in method with fatty meats/ parts before using it?
3. Should it be ready to do a turkey for Thursday??
The wife and I did a practice run with a turkey on the gas Spirit grill, with a smoker box, that worked really well.
4. I have never used a WSM and feel like it might be a bit of a stretch to do a Turkey on the big day on the WSM, as my first ever cook haha.
Just my opinion.
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, but if it's just you and your wife and you can laugh off delays or disaster do it anyway.... If there's going to be a big crowd stick with what you know.

I think you will really like the WSM.

Last edited:
Thanks Charles. I think we will really like it too! Just cant wait to get a thermometer so I can actually see what types of temps I am getting on the grate. Hard to tell just by looking at it haha.

Congrats on your new toy! I agree with Charles on all points. Especially #4. If it is just you two, have fun with it. If it is for a big family gathering, either wait until next year or make sure you have a backup plan like a second bird in the oven.

Congrats on your new toy! I agree with Charles on all points. Especially #4. If it is just you two, have fun with it. If it is for a big family gathering, either wait until next year or make sure you have a backup plan like a second bird in the oven.

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. I was trying to all week to buy the 18.5 so I would have time to do a practice run on it. But, I couldnt get it until Sunday. And I work today and tomorrow, and wont be back home until Thursday morning. So, a practice run would be the real thing. I just don't think my first cook ever should be the bird for the big day haha. If I pulled it off though it would be epic!! Especially with a newborn at home, and 10 people coming over. Probably not the best bet....

I'd give the bird a try even if you don't have a practice run. I'm thinking back to my first cook, and I was amazed at how easy it was to control temps, and I'd never used a charcoal grill of any kind before. You can always cook something else with it on the WSM that you can use as backup or additional food, just in case it doesn't turn out as planned.

Back