Dry Brine??

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking of doing a dry brine for my bird this coming T-Day and wanted to hear from those that have used this method before and what you think.......I've read the Whole Turkey - Salted to see it's pretty easy to do, but I want to know the results.

I know this topic was briefly discussed back in 2011 but I'm wondering if more people are going this route vs. wet brining??

For those that have done this.....what do you think?? Is it worth it? Thanks!

Tim

I am thinking of doing the same thing and have never done it before. I would be interested in comments from folks that have tried dry brining.

Here are some of the methods I am considering.

NY Times

12- to 16-pound turkey, preferably a heritage or pasture raised bird
1/2 cup kosher salt, more if needed

1. Two days before serving, rinse turkey and pat dry. Rub all over with kosher salt, slipping salt under skin where possible and rubbing some into cavities. Use about 1 tablespoon per four pounds of bird.

2. Wrap bird in a large plastic bag and place in refrigerator. On second night, turn turkey over. A couple of hours before cooking, remove turkey from bag and pat dry. Place in roasting pan and allow to come to room temperature.

LA Times

1. Wash the turkey inside and out, pat it dry and weigh it. Measure 1 tablespoon of salt into a bowl for every 5 pounds the turkey weighs (for a 15-pound turkey, you'd have 3 tablespoons).

2. Sprinkle the inside of the turkey lightly with salt. Place the turkey on its back and salt the breasts, concentrating the salt in the center, where the meat is thickest. You'll probably use a little more than a tablespoon. It should look liberally seasoned, but not over-salted.

3. Turn the turkey on one side and sprinkle the entire side with salt, concentrating on the thigh. You should use a little less than a tablespoon. Flip the turkey over and do the same with the opposite side.

4. Place the turkey in a 2 1/2 -gallon sealable plastic bag, press out the air and seal tightly. Place the turkey breast-side up in the refrigerator. Chill for 3 days, turning it onto its breast for the last day.

5. Remove the turkey from the bag. There should be no salt visible on the surface and the skin should be moist but not wet. Place the turkey breast-side up on a plate and refrigerate uncovered for at least 8 hours.

6. On the day it is to be cooked, remove the turkey from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature at least 1 hour.

Americas Test Kitchen

1 turkey (12 to 15 pounds), giblets and neck reserved for gravy, if making
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt (see note above)
2 teaspoons baking powder

For the turkey: Using fingers or handle of wooden spoon, separate turkey skin from meat on breast, legs, thighs, and back; avoid breaking skin. Rub 1 tablespoon salt evenly inside cavity of turkey, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt under skin of each breast, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt under skin of each leg. Wrap turkey tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 24 to 48 hours.

To roast the turkey: Combine remaining 2 teaspoons kosher salt and baking powder in small bowl. Remove turkey from refrigerator and unwrap. Thoroughly dry inside and out with paper towels. Using skewer, poke 15 to 20 holes in fat deposits on top of breast halves and thighs, 4 to 5 holes in each deposit. Sprinkle surface of turkey with salt baking powder mixture and rub in mixture with hands, coating skin evenly. Tuck wings underneath turkey. Using twine, loosely tie turkey legs together. Place turkey breast-side down in V-rack set in roasting pan and drape salt pork slices over back.

Well I decided to do the dry brine per the recipe on this site....Whole Turkey - Salted. I followed it as close as I could and then wrapped in syran wrap and placed in fridge until tomorrow evening where I will then take out of the wrap and let it air dry in the fridge until about 30 min before ready to smoke. I'm curious to see how this tastes compared to wet brining. I will report back with results after my gluteny session Thursday! Happy Smoke'n!!

Tim

All in all I would have to say the bird came out real well. Took a little over 3 hours in a range of 325-350ish. I felt the meat was a little salty compared to the wet brines I've done in the past. I followed the recipe pretty close on my 15lb never frozen or "enhanced" bird. I'm wondering if I should have rinsed the whole thing prior to air drying in the fridge, but the recipe didn't call for that. I think from now on I will continue with the wet brine for all my birds. Don't get me wrong, this bird came out great, but I felt the wet brine was less salty.

Just use less salt next time, no need to wash it. like a 1/2 tsp per pound of meat, 2.5 tbs salt total is all i would have used for your bird, and i would not have rubbed it on the meat itself, just salt the skin it will soak through, Im not sure what chris was thinking on that one. :rolleyes:

I followed the recipe on this website and I too thought it was a tad salty. Overall I liked the results and unlike a wet brine where the meat can become mushy the meat texture with my dry brine was as it should be. Next time I will use a bit less salt and I know it will be delicious. As a side note, Meathead over at AmazingRibs.com states that you can salt directly on the skin rather then under it and the salt will still dissolve and absorb into the meat. I may give that a try.

Salting directly on the skin and not the meat is something I'm in favor of trying. I'll give it another shot next time I smoke any bird. Thanks for all the advice.

Back