Any guess as to how old this is?

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
It's $40 and on my way home from work. What I like about it: It has two handles on the body. Granted, they don't have wood on them, but the top handle is wood. I'm guessing from the 80's but maybe from the 90's? Not sure when they quit making two handles

00N0N_leVQ247Ic5O_600x450.jpg

01212_jeMeTrta8WN_600x450.jpg

00F0F_5kGbIPl5muF_600x450.jpg

My first Bar-B-Kettle came with the single, wood-capped handle and clip-retained pan and that was in 1990, so I think an estimate of the '80s or earlier (I have an undated kettle with 2 metal handles and a twist-lock pan) is reasonable. It looks like it's been cared for so $40 should be a steal.

I have one exactly like that, including the twist on ash catcher. It has "A" stamped on the top vent, so 1979. I can't remember the year they did away with the metal bowl handles. The one in your pic is still really black and not really that faded. Awesome!

Edit: Just checked and it looks like 1980 was the last year the produced the metal bowl handles.

Last edited:
I picked it up today, $40 Any guess to when it was made? I know it has to be at least 1970 because of the patent number but I doubt it's 1979 or newer because it doesn't have an "A thru P" stamped in it. As you can see, it has an "R" but "R" isn't assigned a date

4D3096EB-9B05-40EF-9E73-29FD63AB5720_zps5tgwgu7w.jpg

21967E0D-C919-4489-B02B-8308499D510B_zpsgkgvxhhr.jpg

edited to add my guess

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's a 1978. As you said, a 79 would have the A code. 76 and 77 have engraved lettering for Weber whereas your's is raised. 78 was also the year that they switched to the fat tab on the vent. The "R" is for Registered Trademark.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's a 1978. {snip} 76 and 77 have engraved lettering for Weber whereas your's is raised
Good eyes Dave, good eyes. Thanks for all your help

1978 was the year I graduated high school, LOL

My new (36 Y/O) kettle is home, wiped her down I'll let her sleep in the garage tonight

A9795507-0845-4507-AA75-2771A7052AC1_zpsdh8ll9jk.jpg

She's an absolute beauty. I recall my first kettle: an '82 I bought from the Ft Hood PX. Wish I still had that great little cooker.

Last edited:
No rough spots at all, I need to give it a good cleaning but after that she's good to go. I'm Tempted to cook our Thanksgiving day bird in her. The guy I got her from got a summit last year, I told him that when he's sick of that, let me know ;)

No rough spots at all, I need to give it a good cleaning but after that she's good to go. I'm Tempted to cook our Thanksgiving day bird in her. The guy I got her from got a summit last year, I told him that when he's sick of that, let me know ;)

Hopefully you won't have to wait 30+ years for that one. As for Turkey Day, I'd definitely use her for that. Better temp control on the three wheeler and I think the steel is thicker as well, for better heat retention.

Back