Turkey on WSM or Performer for this Thanksgiving?

NAR_Simpson

TVWBB Fan
I have both the 18.5 WSM and Performer, but what should I cook the Turkey on this year? Last year I only had the WSM and I did the turkey on it. I loved the smoked flavor and the WSM did a good job. Now, I have a Performer and it cooks like a dream, but I have not done any long cooks on it like a turkey would require (3 - 4 hrs) . Those who have both, which do you prefer for cooking turkey and why? Thanks in advance for your input.

Ryan

I have cooked turkeys on the kettle and on the WSM. I prefer the WSM because it requires less attention (e.g. adding charcoal mid cook).

WSM is my first choice because of greater distance from coals, and because it tends to run at the temperature I want to cook it at anyway (275-350), while my kettle likes to rip along at 350+.

If the choice is the oven or the kettle, I choose the kettle!

I've bounced back and forth on weather I should cook the bird on the WSM or the performer. I'm doing mine on the roti and feel that I can get higher heat on my performer so that is what I will use. My bird will only be between 12 - 14 pounds so it won't take hours to cook. The Lady of the house is asking for an additional turkey breast so I will probably do that on the WSM. Most important thing is to have fun and enjoy!

Since I have some time constraints, I think I will do it on the Performer this year. That way we can fine out which way we like it the best WSM or Performer. Thanks for all the advice.

Ryan

Ryan
I'm also going to do a 12 or so pounder on my Performer. I've never done a turkey on the grill, and now I'm looking for advice on how to do it.

Check the Weber website for their method using the Weber kettle. The big advantage is the higher heat so you get crisp skin. Made mine on the Performer many times and next week will be no exception. Also suggest brining the bird first. Good luck and enjoy the day.

Bob, I also agree about brining the turkey. I love the Apple brine I got off this site and use often. I also checked out the Weber site and You Tub for advice using the performer. I plan on using a pan on the grill grate with veggies and stock and cook breast side down for first hour. Then I will turn the turkey over on its back. Then pan will collect all the good juices for the gravy.

Ryan

I'm cooking two birds outdoors, one for us and another for my niece and her family. I was going to do ours on my 18" WSM and theirs on my 22" OTG, but now I'm not sure what to do. Ours will be eaten at home, while theirs will need to survive a 30-40 minute drive to their home. If the biggest difference is the skin, and theirs will be in a cooler for a half hour, effectively soggifying the skin, then it seems it would be better to do theirs in the WSM. On the other hand, they're picking up the turkey at noon, and we're not eating until 3, so how's this for a game plan (both will be brined, so overcooking isn't likely):
1. Start theirs on the OTG around 7 AM (they're going to have about an 18-20 pounder, so I'm figuring on about 4-5 hours cook time?)
2. Start ours on the WSM (running as hot as possible) around 8 AM
3. Around 11 AM, start a fresh chimney of charcoal in preparation for step 4.
4. Just before noon, pull theirs from the OTG and transfer to styrofoam- and foil-lined cooler, clean the grate and drop in the newly-lit charcoal
5. Once the OTG comes back up to temp, transfer ours from the WSM to it.

This way, ours will be probably about 80% cooked when I move it over and have a good two hours at higher heat to render the subcutaneous fat and crisp up the skin. Again, I've never been able to overcook a brined turkey (and I've tried), so I'm not overly concerned with giving ours a little extra time on the OTG.

Now, this may all be moot if I manage to snag that SS Performer that came up on CL the other day...then it'll be Kettle-cooked turkey for everyone! In that case, I'll use the WSM to roast the sweet potatoes for mashing.

I think the kettle does a much better job on turkey. A little bit of pecan for flavor (maybe one chunk) and that turkey will be delicious.

Ryan,
The skin is the big thing here I think. Using the Performer and the Weber indirect method, you get a quicker cook and a smoked bird. I would love to here from others who have used the WSM for turkey and how the skin turns out. Since I have both the WSM 22 and the Performer I can do what I want. Family just wants a perfect bird.
Bob

Back