Thermometer idea

Mickey M

Closed Account
We have an oven thermometer that we bought when our stove's electric oven thermometer went on the fritz years ago. It works fine and is accurate.

it is a stand-up thermometer that is placed right on the oven rack inside the oven.

Does anyone here see a problem using the same type of thermometer placed on the top grate of a mini WSM?

I think it may work just fine but I don't want to waste good meat in case it does not.

Does anyone see anything wrong with the idea?

Last edited:
I did that in my early days of outdoor cooking ignorance before I had 40 different thermometer options. It was usable for a cook or two until the glass was completely smoked over. Like you said...back to the drawing board.

Hee hee hee, OR I could just drill a big ol' hole on the side of the dome and look in on the thermometer whenever I wanted to.

I wonder if heat escaping would be problematic? If it were a problem I could just hold my hand over the big ol' hole until I wanted to check the temp.

You get points for humour Mickey but not for ingenuity. :) Now go check to see if the light stays on in the refrigerator when you close the door. LOL

Seriously, Taylor makes a remote probe thermometer that costs under 20 bucks. Has a timer, temp alarm etc. Really works well in ovens or grills. Of course you can spend a lot more. If you want a web enabled unit check out the iCelsius Wireless. Love mine.

Back