Low and slow for chicken?

DanCT

I have found a lot of contradictory opinions on this topic. Is there any benefit to smoking chicken at a low temperature? I one of the issues this is often brought up is the flabby skin. Can't I resolve this by going low and slow until it reaches about 125f and then open the vents completely to bring the temp up to 325 to finish?

I am hoping to make some chicken for dinner as a test run with cherry and pecan, so I would appreciate your help!

Dan

You need to render the fat from under the skin. Turkeys are often baked covered for the first while and then the cover removed to brown the skin. Frankly, I would npt bother doing L&S for chicken.

We cook in competition at 275 and never have a skin problem, but I do remove the fat from under the skin when I trim. It is the fat that keeps the skin from sticking to the chicken. For home consumption, who cares if the skin comes off.

We cook in competition at 275 and never have a skin problem, but I do remove the fat from under the skin when I trim. It is the fat that keeps the skin from sticking to the chicken. For home consumption, who cares if the skin comes off.

Funny you should say that. When we grill chicken we always remove the skin. Except for wings.

If you're not concerned with the skin, low and slow chicken makes some great chicken, but the skin pays the price. But if you want both good skin and good meat, then temps > 275 and more like 300 are the way to go

And I would do indirect at 325 on a grill. Need the smoke?-->use a few chips in a smoker box meant for the grill. An hour , it's done with crispy skin.

I don't really eat the skin. I have found that I like it lower between 225 - 250 for chicken. I tried higher temps a few times but it is very moist and near perfect for me when it's lower. Try both, see what you like.

I like L&S for pulled chicken or turkey, serve it on a bun with some sauce or use as a filling for tacos, enchiladas, beans&rice, pot pie or a creamed dish.
For quarters (legs & thighs) breasts and wings I'll go 275+. Halves I'll start slow then ramp up the temp at the end, usually finish with the top grate on the charcoal bowl for crispness.

Tim

Back