Cooking and transporting a turkey questions.

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Im in charge of the turkey this year and will be bringing it to my mother in laws on thanksgiving. I have some questions I hope you can answer.

Even though it's going into a cooler my guess is that either way I smoke it, it won't matter regarding the skin because it will be transported in a cooler?

How long can it stay wrapped and hot like that? (There's always someone late...always)

I know normal temp is 165 for breast and 170 for thigh. Should I go a little lower since it will be rapped in a cooler with towels?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

I've never understood the waiting on people tgat are always late thing. If we were running behind, I would insist people go ahead and chow down we'd just show up and jump right in.

You could take your smoker to your mother in law's house and smoke it there. Who doesn't want to spend a day with their MIL? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you could par cook the Turkey the day before until it is nice and well smoked, but not cooked through. Bring it cold to your MIL's house and finish it in her oven. That should preserve the skin.

When I cook at home for a carry in I usually use a heating blanket under the pan with some towels on top in a cooler and I get good heat retention.

I also have a part of the family that is time management challenged. We decided long ago that the published eating time is a hard time plus or minus 30 seconds. If they're late we welcome them to jump in as we have already started. It doesn't take long for them to show early because usually there's some fellowship goin on around the cooker(s). ;)

Last edited:
You could take your smoker to your mother in law's house and smoke it there. Who doesn't want to spend a day with their MIL? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you could par cook the Turkey the day before until it is nice and well smoked, but not cooked through. Bring it cold to your MIL's house and finish it in her oven. That should preserve the skin.

Lol I wish I could but mil lives in a senior complex which doesn't allow grilling. I may cook it and slice it into pans. Trust me every thanksgiving is a challenge....

When I cook at home for a carry in I usually use a heating blanket under the pan with some towels on top in a cooler and I get good heat retention.

I also have a part of the family that is time management challenged. We decided long ago that the published eating time is a hard time plus or minus 30 seconds. If they're late we welcome them to jump in as we have already started. It doesn't take long for them to show early because usually there's some fellowship goin on around the cooker(s). ;)

I do like the heat pad in the cooler idea. I think I may do that. Thank you so much for making this easier!!

Seems like it would be much easier all the way around to bring the MIL to the bird.

i agree with you and I most certainly would, but there is a lot of family drama going on; so this year it's our way of damage control.

I would allow it to cool just a bit before placing it into the cooler. Also, I wouldn't wrap it too tightly with foil, or the carry over heat and steam will cause it to over cook. Ask me how I know that?

Back