Help w/ Lamb Roast???

GeraldCurry

TVWBB Fan
We are thinking of changing up our Normal thanksgiving.Trying something new ANYONE ever here Roasted or Smoked a LAMB ROAST on The Weber Kettle.I have done Pork roast and Racks of IN-BONE 6 BONE IN similar to Crown Roast. Being this is sort of a beef Roast. Can anyone give me TIPs about what they did. I could Treat this as a Chuck roast but this isn't a tough piece of meat ( LAMB ) I know i could treat this Roast like an Oven cook, but i like to do slow and get that smoked flavor . This is also very Expensive cut as well . Any suggestions
Thanks
Jerry C:cool:

This depends on what kind of lamb roast you get. Leg of lamb will cook quickly and will be done at med rare, about 130. You could get away with treating a lamb shoulder like a beef chuck and pulling/shredding it once it's tender.

Either way, wet rub with garlic and lots of herbs and salt, you can't go wrong.

Never cooked lamb on the kettle but have done many leg roasts on the WSM. Added to Dave's good advice on the wet rub, I like to cook at 325 or a little less, but raise the temperature to 400 + at the end to get a kind of reverse sear thing going. You could also sear it first over the coals and then cook slower to whatever internal temp you like. Again, Dave's 130 degrees is what I usually shoot for.

Giving it some smoke is a good idea, but my experience is that many people prefer lamb to have the smoke on the light side, compared to what you might do for a chuck roast.

aThanks for your help i appreciate the comebacks, I will use the Roast method smoked , i have did a pork at 140 ill do a test w/ small deboned lamb before i go for a bigger one for thanksgiving,
thanks jerry

Back