Temp too low on my 18.5

So I've been using my WSM for a couple of years now and I I felt like I was really getting the hang of it. But recently, including today, I find that when I have both racks loaded with meat (I only recently started filling the smoker full, may be time to upgrade) I have difficulty getting the temp above 200/225. Today I put 8 slabs of ribs on the smoker. They range from 2.5 to 3.25 pounds each. I fired the cooker using the minion method, I did not wait for the cooker to come up to temp I put the meat on immediately. I filled the water pan to about 2 inches from the top. It took an hour for the cooker to go from 150 to 200 with all vents wide open. It has been sitting at 200 going on three hours now. I was shooting for 225 - 250. I'm trying to follow the recipe for the Best Ribs in the Universe.

I don't understand why I can't get it hotter. Could I be putting to much water in the pan? Too much meat? Or do I need to use this to justify to my wife why I need a 22"?

Could be you don't need the water with all the meat, or maybe your charcoal is damp? I've read that charcoal will not put out as much heat if it is damp as it will if dry. I've done 4 large pork butts (over 40lbs of pork) at the same time now a few times on my 18.5 WSM and don't have any problems maintaining heat. I let the smoker come up to temp before adding the meat, no water, 2 clay planter plates, top vent open, 2 bottom vents closed, 3rd bottom vent about 1/2 open, no problems- works for me!

Thanks Steve, I'm pretty sure the charcoal is dry, I just picked up 2 fresh bags of kingsford. I will say that I smoked a couple of pork butts yesterday and the ashes are filling up in the bottom. I had 2 smokes worth when I fired it this morning. Probably should have dumped it but I got in hurry. I'm also using apple 'sticks' instead of chunks, which is also a deviation from my norm. This bag of wood has sticks that are 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter by 6 to 8 inches long.

At the 3 hour mark I turned the ribs, which of course looked to be more raw than normal. I turned em anyway and put the lid back on. That was an hour ago. The lid temp was at 200 before I took it off. It dropped to 150 and has been there for the last hour. I stirred the coals they look like they are a tad too smothered so I open the door for just a minute and half or so. I'll keep working with it. I'm sure they will be fine, it'll just take a little longer for them to cook. I'm already committed now, so we'll see.

For me too much water in the water pan. Just use 1/2 gal a time then refill it. Probably you can cook for 4 hours before refilling.

I fired the cooker using the minion method, I did not wait for the cooker to come up to temp I put the meat on immediately.

This line is what jumped out at me right away. I would strongly suggest letting the smoker get up to speed before dropping that much cold meat on it. Not to mention you run the risk of trying to cook with dirty smoke. For my first couple of smokes, I threw the meat on too early when it was still pumping out thick white, billowy smoke. Got some really nasty, black, rubbery chicken. I had to learn to let it come up to temp and settle first. Takes my pit about 30 mins from lighting to be ready to throw meat on.

A full water pan also takes a long time to get up to temp. I don't use water in my pan, wrapped in foil, planter based inside, and a cheap roaster pan on top to catch the drippings.

I had an issue with a bag of KBB. I think I had a bad batch. Couldn't get the charcoal to burn hot enough. Also need to clean out those ashes after every other cook at least and make sure you let the charcoal and smoker get up to temp.

The mass of the meat combined with the water is holding your temps down. Once the water evaporates and the meat comes closer to temp, the cooker temp with rise.

I recommend no water when you first load it up. Then as the temp starts rising, either continue with no water and adjust vents or add warm water - your choice.

Maybe i missed it but how many lit coals are you starting with? I usually use around half a chimney then dump that on top of the unlit. I then go get a pitcher of hot water from the faucet then assemble the unit and dump the water in, leaving the lid off as i get more water. I then put the lid on and wait for the temp to come up (and white smoke to burn off) before adding the meat.

I did not wait for the cooker to come up to temp I put the meat on immediately
I often do this too, however if you leave your door off for no more than 5 minutes (usually less) that will get things going faster. If you really want to use water, then boil it and then pour it in. That'll also help, as you won't spend some much energy (heat) getting the water hot

The low temps and rubbery meat is why I quit using water all together and now use clay saucers in my pan, covered with foil

I like running with water for my cooks. I find it helps the bark not to be too dried out. Also Meathead from amazingribs.com says it helps the smoke adhere to the meat. I'm with Chuck O, i alwas boil the water before I put it in the smoker. Also try the upside down door method found on tips and mods on tvwb. I've done that mod and it really helps to get your smoker cookin. I also let the lit charcoal engage the unlit for about 5-10mins before i assemble the wsm. Good luck.
P.S. i have both the 18.5"wsm and the 22.5"wsm , and really like them both. And the more i use the 22.5"wsm the more I'm loving it. Look on Craigslist for one, thats how i got mine.

Back