Mission Beach Centennial Party & BBQ 9/27/14

Greg B.

TVWBB Pro
Hi everyone!
Yesterday I went to a KCBS BBQ Comp held at Belmont Park in Mission Beach here in San Diego. Mission Beach was celebrating 100 years with multiple events including this BBQ Comp. After weeks of Triple digit weather and humidity the weather was gorgeous yesterday at the beach! After going in circles looking for a parking spot I arrived at the venue a little after 1:00 pm.

I guess there were only about 20 teams competing so it was a smaller cozy layout. The pitmasters were located right next to the roller coaster!

I figured the final turn in (brisket) was 1:30 so I waited till the judges got released and got in contact with Bob Bass and I headed out to Jerry A's Burnin and Lootin

To the left is San Diego's own Steve A (Vicious Smoke) and on the right is Jerry A (Burnin and Lootin) It was judge Steve A at this comp.

Without Jerry's permission I took a picture of his setup! Sorry Jerry! Well seasoned WSM's

Finally ran into Bob Bass and Maryanne on there rounds and Bob asked me "Have any good BBQ?" and I told Bob that one team had great brisket but the sauce was a little under par. And Bob says "You want to talk sauce!" and took me over to Desperado BBQ and introduced me to Steve!
Steve is the Grand Champion of Harry Soo's Backyard Comp last December!

On the left is Steve (Desperado BBQ) and Bob Bass.

This is the sauce that Steve makes and I just want to say it is one killer sauce! It is hard for me describe the flavor profile but it is not sweet and has a little heat at the end. The sauce is a thinner sauce and would be perfect for last minutes glaze and even a dipping sauce! This will be my go to sauce for my cooks!
The sauce is available in some fine stores in SoCal or you can get them here http://desperadobbq.com/
Thanks Bob for hooking me up!

Some pics of the board walk and the beach!

When I went to go say goodbye to Jerry A , Jerry fixed me up a big packet of food to take home! This is the second time Jerry A has given me great BBQ!
Thank you so much!!! On the bottom of all this smokey goodness is a whole point Jerry A's friend gave me! I'm not sure if I thanked him Jerry, can you tell your friend "Thank You" and that my wife wants me to make burnt ends ASAP!

Sorry I'm not a great story teller and again I wasn't around for the results so if someone can add to this and post the results it would be deeply appreciated!!!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Had a Great time meeting up with you yesterday !
Great Friends, Great Weather and Great BBQ !

Team Simply Marvelous BBQ took Grand Champion and team Big Poppa Smokers took Reserve Grand Champion.
Congratulations to all.
Although it was a relatively small event, fun was had by all ! Looking forward to next year's event here.

Last edited:
Great Pics! My sis just moved to SD and I kept telling her about this event but of course of all weekends this was the one she flew out to Pittsburgh for a wedding, DOH!

Nice pics and write up Greg!

That point was from ZYZZX who took 1st in Brisket that day.. Send that to the lab for ingredient analysis! LOL

Back