Clearance

S Farmer

I am going to build a shelter/shed for my 22 inch WSM. This will be built mostly from treated wood. What clearances should I keep away from sides and top of smoker so I don't have to worry about fire. I will be kind of a lean to off of my existing shed. Seems like every time I plan to smoke something it rains.

Be more concerned with adequate ventilation than combustibility. IMO, unless you knock the unit over, there is zero chance of the leanto catching fire.

I'll admit, I clicked this thread looking for a deal. As far as clearances around the WSM, I'd make sure to leave enough space to access all the vents. That amount of clearance would probably be more than enough to overcome concerns with combustibility.

NFPA standards for the installation of solid fuel burning appliances such as fireplace stoves require 36 inches clearance from combustible walls, but allow this to be reduced to 12 inches if the wall is protected by 24 gauge sheet metal with a ventilating air space (at least one inch) between the sheet metal and the wall. This is for interior installation, so it should be adequate for a dedicated outdoor cooking shed.

The biggest threat of fire comes form loading the charcoal and handling the fire in general. I'd go with the suggested clearance of enough to get around the unit to be able to work the vents. I'd spend a little more time on the thought of what to use for a floor. The bottom of the unit is the area that you can't adjust the clearance and I would make sure to use something other than wood if at all possible. If you must use wood, make sure you have a pan or some patio blocks to protect the wood. A fire extinguisher or a hose near by would not be overkill.

Thanks for all the replies. It will have a concrete floor and probably at least 3 feet in all directions around it so sounds like I should be ok. Thanks again. Once I start this project I will try to send some pictures.

I Am Finishing A Similar Project. I Built A 12X14 Area Out Of Pallets. Pallets Will Give Plenty Of Ventilation For Smoke And Carbon Monoxide. Have Picked TheM Up Free From Construction Sites And Local advertising Free Pallets On Craigslist. Only Items I Have Had To Buy Is Rafters And Metal Roofing. I Will Be Putting Down A 4X8 Sheet Of Metal Under Wsm Smoker And Grill For Accidents And Have Extinguisher At Entrance For Just In Case Lol.

Back