Claw or not to Claw.

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
How and what do you use to make pulled pork? I don't own a claw, I own two hands and a fork... sometimes I dont have a fork... I just pick and pull apart with my hands... Is this normal?

My insulated gloves work great but bear claws are impressive... My dinner guests are always impressed and scared when I approach to the dinner table wearing claws!

Bear claws for sure! I used to use 2 forks, but since I got the bear claws, there no way I'd ever go back. Get a pair, you won't regret it!
Tim

BTW, the link I posted earlier shows a stupid expensive price - I think mine were 11 or 12 bucks; got two pairs. I think they are really worth it. Makes me feel like the film character "Wolverine". :)

Heavy rubber gloves. As autumn approaches, you might see a free pair available with the purchase of a turkey injector kit, if you are so inclined.

If it's 1 or 2 butts then a fork and hands work fine. 3-4 butts i suggest getting some claws. Anymore than 4 butts I use a pork shredder on a drill. If you get into a cook with alot of meat it is such a time saver. We used the claws on 40 butts on a regular basis and got blisters for days. With the drill I can have a full pork butt shredded,panned,and out the door in 2 mins.

Wow. 2 min? I like to pick some of the fat off. Just me tho. Where does one get claw for drill? Interested.

It really all depends on how "done" your butts are when you pull them. Most of the time, mine are falling apart as I take them off my smoker so they shred very easily. If you pull yours sooner, then something like bear claws might come in handy. When I first started smoking, I had to actually work to shred my pork with forks. Would take 30 mins for a single butt. Then I learned that I wasn't cooking them long enough. Problem solved.

Wow. 2 min? I like to pick some of the fat off. Just me tho. Where does one get claw for drill? Interested.

Yes Matt 2 mins. I will bring the butt temp up to 200-205 internal temp. Snatch the bone out,remove SOME of the fat cap, toss the butt in a lg pot or bucket, shake some more rub on top, then shred with drill for about 15-30 seconds. We usually shred 2 at a time. Take a few seconds to remove any unrendered fat then dump in pan. It's seriously that quick and we all kick ourselves in the butt for wasting all those hours in the past using bear claws on large cooks. We also use to remove the entire fat cap leaving you with lean pulled pork that tends to dry out quick. If you want more moist and yield per butt leave some of the fat cap on. I compare it like a New York Strip to a Ribeye. Just my 2 cents

Back