Have to hover by my Weber

TBalazs

I love my SMW. I bought it several months ago for myself for my 50th birthday and so far have smoked salmon, whole turkey, turkey breast, chicken, and beef ribs, short and long.

But here's my problem, if it is a problem. I find that to keep the smoker within temperature ranges, I am constantly running back and forth adjusting vents every 5 to 15 minutes. That was the case for me today when I did a 4 hour turkey breast aiming for between 200 and 225. In a way it's fun, but it means I have to devote a lot of attention to the smoker for hours and hours.

I thought one of the advantages of the Weber was its ability to hold a steady temperature. Am I doing something wrong? How do people do 12-hour overnight cooks with the confidence that the smoker will stay within then proper range? Is there something I'm not getting?

Glad to get any feedback from fellow smokers.

Tom

Welcome Tom. If your WSM is fairly new, it may run a little hot for a bunch of cooks.

I have found that with mine, once it gets to about 200, I shut the bottom vents to about 1/4 each and keep the top vent wide open.

This usually results in a consistent temp of 235 to 250 for me. This is the temp. on the factory dome thermometer.

This has worked for me over the years, hope this helps for you. Be sure to keep us informed.

Tom I agree with Ed that a new cooker will run hot but after a few cooks it will settle down and you'll learn over time about where to put the vents for the desired temp.

However, as with everything we all have slight variations in getting to the same goal. For example, I would also recommend using the top vent if needed. Just ensure it is open more than all three lower vents combined to ensure you maintain a positive chimney effect. I've really been successful using this technique.

Also, don't be afraid to close one or two lower vents completely and just use one for temp control.

Most of all learn what works for you and have fun! ...and welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Fear not. Your WSM will become more stable with time. I had the exact same situation with mine and now I can leave it at 275 overnight and get up in the morning and it is still 275. It is rock solid. I can't say for sure what made this happen. At the time, it just seemed to happen by chance. Looking back, I think a couple things happened. First, the unit got gunked up a bit which made it tighter. Second, I got better at adjusting the vents and getting the unit out of the wind (very important). However, I think most important is that I learned to leave the unit alone. I know of nothing in smoking or bbq'ing that will be impacted by the temp being off 25 to 50 degrees except the timing of the cook. So relax and see if it actually does go over your target temp by more than 20 degrees before you make any major adjustments.

Also, holding temp between 200 and 225 is probably going to be more difficult than keeping it around 250 - 275. Under 225 is pretty low.

So, how do I get stable temps for 12+ hours? Like this:

My unit is pretty tight (minimal air leakage). I don't use water. I use a FULL ring of charcoal and very little burning charcoal to start my cook using the Minion method. I've come to learn that my unit is stable and holds around 275 degrees with the top vent wide open and only one bottom vent open about half way (the other two vents are fully closed). To start with, all vents are wide open but once I hit about 225, I close 2 vents and start using the one open vent to dial it in. I leave it alone (keep the lid on and the access door closed) and I only move the vent in small adjustments.

Most of all, don't worry. If the fire gets totally out of control (like over 300 or even 325), shut all bottom vents and the top vent by half. Let the temp come down and start over. Trust me, this is not something that will happen often and won't likely happen at all after you get a few more cooks under your belt.

Jerry pretty much said what I was going to say, but I want to add a couple thoughts on adjustments.

Make tiny adjustments, and give them time to have an effect before you make any further adjustments. This isn't like turning the knob on a gasser. Controlling heat by controlling combustion by controlling oxygen supply has a little lag time to it.

I'll also echo what Jerry said about 200-225...that is a tough target. Not impossible, but tough. I don't think you'll see any difference in the final product if you target 250 and accept anything stable that is 25 under to 25 over.

Jerry, are you watching me? I after reading the OP, I was already formulating the basic post that you posted. ;)

I'd also echo what both Jerry & Jeff said. One of the best pieces of advice I read before my first smoke was "don't chase temperatures".

I agree with above. I keep mine 225 to 250. If its stable, I leave it alone. Mine doesn't react to adjustments immediately. It usually very slowly drifts up or down depending on what I've done. You can keep messing with it but you'll just keep ping ponging up and down if you don't be patient.

This comes into play alot if you are using minion method. Once you overshoot, you've lit more coals and its harder to bring the temp back down.

My offset on the other hand reacts almost immediately. Not sure what the deal is there.

How do you fire up you cooker? If you are not already look into the minion method. It took two cooks without the minion method for me to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to use the minion method. Once I put in lit charcoal and put my cooker together it takes about 15 minutes for me to get up to my target temp and it holds steady. I have no problems reaching and maintaining 225 for hours.

Hi Tom, and welcome aboard.

Make tiny adjustments, and give them time to have an effect before you make any further adjustments.
This is excellent advise. If you over adjust, you will be chasing the temperature all day long.

Good luck

Thanks everyone. I guess I was worried that temperature spikes would negate the benefit of low and slow, but see now I was "chasing the temperature," and am going to relax and enjoy a little more.

I used my 22 WSM for 10 months now, not very much time. But I have cooked a lot with it. I understood that:
- the thin can method is the best. Personally I set the can just in front one of the bottom vent to allow a much better temp control.
- if you start with a great amount of lit briquettes you will have greater problem to mantain lower T round 220/250F. Therefore I use a small chimney to start with.
- about water no water I'm still studing. In the last few cooks I used the pizza stone and it works but if the temp spikes then it is a big problem to bring it back. I have used water for many cooks and what I have understood is that it is much better to use little water about 1/2 gal and when finished refuel it.
- never look at lid thermometer: it is always off from 10 to 50 F degrees depending on sun irradiation. I always use grate probe far enough from the edges and the meat.

Back