Fan Mounting Solutions for Large BGE

SJWebb

Howdy all,

I have been thinking about getting a controller and recently ran across the HeaterMeter project. It looks like a lot of fun to put one together and will also save a few bucks on a bbq thermostat. My only concern at this point is how to mount the fan to the LBGE. I apologize if this is already addressed in these forums, but after searching for it here and on google, I have been unable to find much information about it.

How are people mounting the stock fan (at digikey) on the LBGE? I haven't really seen any information for other BBQs either, so if you have soultions for non-BGE cookers, I (and hopefully others) would be interested in hearing about those as well. Thanks in advance for all the help! I am excited to start working on my HeaterMeter.

Probably the easiest solution for the BGE would be to use the fan & plate from somewhere like Auber Instruments or BBQ Guru. If you're handy with tin snips and a chisel, you can get some sheet aluminum and craft something up.

I have a primo xl and the door is not dissimilar to the bge I've been "proto-typing" with some aluminum flashing (a bit thin but totally fine for quick work and super easy to cut). I'll post some pics tomorrow. Basically my plan was to do a rough mock with flashing and then cut a somewhat more substantial version from a thicker sheet of aluminum or galvanized steel.

Before everyone freaks about galvanized on a smoker. The lower end of ceramic cookers around the vent stays quite cool. Very, very far from the temps that the zinc coating starts to even think about doing anything sketchy. ;)

For my vision kamado (similar to the BGE), I used a 1-1/2" hole saw on a piece of (uncoated, mild) steel. (keep the circle offcut!) Then cut the steel to the width/height of the damper track. Put it in the track, with some cotton or other material to seal the gaps.

A 1-1/4" piece of iron pipe (black, not galv is better) will thread right into the hole from the holesaw. I used a 6" long black iron nipple/pipe, then a transition to PVC & 90 degree turn, and put the damper in the PVC pipe. You could tape or otherwise secure the fan to the pipe inlet, but I find it works more than fine to just put the fan on the ground, and point it at the end of the pipe.

The offcut from the holesaw should be an almost perfect fit to make a servo controlled damper. Drill a hole through the pipe, piece of coat hanger, some epoxy, and you're set.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic sometime soon.

You must be telepathic SJWebb, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I too am thinking about what to do for my Large. I would like to know what or how people are handling the little flapper inside the fan duct that stops the back drafting, or is this not a concern?

Of course after posting this I found some information about this. Not sure how I missed it. Are two threads that include 3d printed servo dampers (one and two) That I said, I would still be interested in seeing pictures your solutions JIves and Job.

I had the same question, John. It appears that with the fans off and no damper or valve, air can flow freely. Does anyone know this for sure, there is no information on the Digikey site or in the pictures there. That said, I think I am going with the solution shown in the first link above. It looks like 1"x1" square metal tubing and small sheet of aluminum is the ticket for the BGE.

The stock HM blower has nothing in it to prevent air flow, that is correct. So when the fan turns off air can still be freely drawn through it, which is where the servo damper comes in. There are also passive ways you can stop the flow when the fan turns off like a gravity flap valve, or the "ping pong valve" I came up with just before servo support was added to the HM and I developed the roto damper. The ping pong valve actually works very well, but the servo damper allows much more control over the flow and so that is the way most people go. For most of my low and slow cooking on a kamado I use the damper only without the fan blowing at all except during the initial heat-up of the pit when the HM is at 100%. I like the way the grill cooks better when the air is drawn naturally in a passive fashion with the HM just automating the tuning of your intake vent. For high heat cooks I do keep the fan blowing all the time.....

Last edited:
I'm using an Auber 6.5CFM blower on a custom made mounting plate on my Primo XL, works like a charm.

PietRMeterV20-2.jpg

Back