Accessing Stoker Control Panel When Outside the Home Network

Don R C-Bus

I'm sure others have probably done this, but I didn't see anything on the board about it recently and it's something that addressed a major issue I had, specifically: How do I easily access and control my Stoker when away from my house and not on my home network given that my home external IP address may change from time to time?

I picked up a private internet domain, in my case whatsdonsmoking.com and then I used the free no-ip.com Dynamic DNS service site to forward traffic requests from that site back to my home network. Then I set up router rules to send those requests to the specific internal IP address my Stoker sits on when it is turned on and working. No-ip.com has a program that runs in the background that checks to make sure all of the pointers are correct and updates seamlessly when necessary. When the Stoker is off (like now), the website is off too.

So in the end, wherever I am - inside or outside the house and on any device - I can just hit the whatsdonsmoking.com site and see the Stoker Control Panel as served up by the Stoker, just like I was on the home network and hitting the device directly. When people ask when dinner will be ready I just direct them to whatsdonsmoking.com and they can see where things are at without any knowledge of how the Stoker or the web technology works. I can change the temperature settings remotely too; of course I do set the Stoker "read only" setting. Last thing I need is someone trying to hack my cook!

I thought this was great fun. Anyone else done this?

don

Back