Gasket mod

Hugh B

I read someplace that the new WSM do not need the mod due to Weber making them a different. Is this true??

I have a new 14.5 on the way. Will apply while it's clean if needed.

Last edited:
I bought an 18.5 earlier this year. Smoke leaked (relatively) profusely from the access panel the first few times I used it. But soot and grime eventually built-up in the tiny gaps to the point that it barely leaks at all now. A fair amount of smoke still leaks out from between the lid and main body, but has also improved with usage. But to be honest, I have no problems maintaining temps and I haven't had any issues burning excessive amounts of charcoal. That said, I have no reason to 'fix' the issue since it isn't really an issue (for me).
I'd try your WSM a few times before jumping through any hoops. It doesn't have to be "spacecraft" tight in order to be effective.

What I believe you're referring to is the fit between the centre section and the base, weber changed it to a rolled lip rather than straight fit a few years ago. As a result of this no gasket is required, the people at bbqgaskets.com advise that the gasket is not necessary, if you were to install it then I imagine the fit would be very tight indeed and may cause issues with assembly.

I bought the gaskets more for the lid and the door, but installed them on the bottom of the barrel too. It was really tight when I first put it on, but it is better now. Soon doing the gaskets and the Cajun Bandit SS door, I have no leaks at all. When I close the vents, the fire goes out and the bottom is warm to the touch in about an hour.

Back